588,436 active members*
6,392 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Home is where all the axes of your machine would be at 0, Most people use their home switches as limit switches, so you could have just three.

Question How Many Switches are Needed

Quote Originally Posted by GaryCorlew View Post
    Home is where all the axes of your machine would be at 0, Most people use their home switches as limit switches, so you could have just three.
    Thanks Gary,

Still foggy let me try this again.

"Home is where all the axes of your machine would be at 0" OK I understand this part.

"Most people use their home switches as limit switches, so you could have just three" Let me spell this out and see if I am getting it, don’t think I understand.

Don’t understand “just three” in your statement. Wouldn’t I need two switches on the X Axis (one at each end of the travel) wired separately back to the board and I would define one of them as Home using Mach 3. This would be done also for both the Y and Z axis’s. So I would need six independently wired switches, in this example. Or am I not understanding the number of limit switches I need?

My breakout board only supports three switches. So I don’t have the option to use six limit switches. So am I up the creek with this limitation?

Thanks
    Hager