587,089 active members*
2,862 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: pcnc440's after near 3 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Tormach tools are hated over on PM forum almost as much as fusion cad/cam.
    I find many on that forum think unless it has 10hp its a toy. But they also have a very active forum for south bend lathes. That explains most of the it to me.
    I always wonder when people say it needs 10hp, or it needs 4th axis or it needs uber interpolated accuracy , or 25 atc .... whatever and I wont buy one.
    Then with a super high dollar high performance cnc machine with all that ability, they will complain about paying 300$ a year cad/ cam software that wont even use all the machines ability anyway.
    A lot of guys build their self worth on what they own , it's like that with all sorts of things , When the bills are paid and the smoke clears then I'm sure that I'm raking in more cash than most of the guys running 2-3 hass doing contract work , and thats not to brag by any means but it's stating a fact . And , I'm sure that I could run circles around most of those guys in their own shop .

I own what I have not because it's all I can afford but because it's all I need . For the cost of their spindle replacement I can toss in at least one machine . A newbie who thinks that they can just by a tormach and start a business doing contract work will probably find they bought a pipe dream . I've got a lot of experience and I'm skilled at making things work and my shop and my products are built around making it work .

Ultimately they are hobby machines with many limitations , but they can definitely get the job done , I'm a bit unique in how I use mine but at the same time I'm not the only one

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    btw: many new air compressors I see are 155 psi now with a 120 psi cycle low. I replaced my old one with a new 155 psi unit and I have pdb set to just release tool at the max psi setting of 120 psi advised by tormach.
    I've been eyeballing eastwood's baby scroll compressor for a while. I want that thing real bad but it's hard to justify $1500ish when the unit I have now is in perfect working order. Someday I will sell it off for whatever I can get out of it and put that money towards an upgrade but there are a few other things I want more than a new compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    A newbie who thinks that they can just by a tormach and start a business doing contract work will probably find they bought a pipe dream
    I may or may not have been perfectly described by that sentence a little over a year ago. I've since learned just how much I don't know and my perception of reality has changed dramatically as a result. I originally bought the machine to make parts for myself instead of paying others to make them. In the process of buying and setting up, I decided that contract work would be easy and would help offset the cost of the machine. Now I make parts for myself and prototypes for my employer on occasion and I am happy with that. I still hope one day to bring in some contract work and I do casually look for it here and there but last week I did my first real "production" run of parts for my employer. 100 parts in one day and I was SMOKED at the end of it. Better or different workholding would have made a big difference but that wasn't an option so I did what needed to be done. After that, I have no desire to run long jobs on my machine. I enjoy the process of programming, fixturing, and making chips but when I get to the point of standing in front of the machine all day cranking out the same part over and over, I lose interest pretty quick.

Oh, and as for those other toys. No more two strokes in my garage anymore but the big italian v-twins will still land me in a world of physical and legal hurt if I don't behave myself

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    I've been eyeballing eastwood's baby scroll compressor for a while. I want that thing real bad but it's hard to justify $1500ish when the unit I have now is in perfect working order. Someday I will sell it off for whatever I can get out of it and put that money towards an upgrade but there are a few other things I want more than a new compressor.
    Nothing that nice. Just a porter cable 2 stage from local ranch supply on sale was less then 400$. Simple noise maker that also produces air.

I'm still an avid MX fan. They dont use 2strokes much these days. But 450's fly tho

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post

I may or may not have been perfectly described by that sentence a little over a year ago. I've since learned just how much I don't know and my perception of reality has changed dramatically as a result. I originally bought the machine to make parts for myself instead of paying others to make them. In the process of buying and setting up, I decided that contract work would be easy and would help offset the cost of the machine. Now I make parts for myself and prototypes for my employer on occasion and I am happy with that. I still hope one day to bring in some contract work and I do casually look for it here and there but last week I did my first real "production" run of parts for my employer. 100 parts in one day and I was SMOKED at the end of it. Better or different workholding would have made a big difference but that wasn't an option so I did what needed to be done. After that, I have no desire to run long jobs on my machine. I enjoy the process of programming, fixturing, and making chips but when I get to the point of standing in front of the machine all day cranking out the same part over and over, I lose interest pretty quick.

Oh, and as for those other toys. No more two strokes in my garage anymore but the big italian v-twins will still land me in a world of physical and legal hurt if I don't behave myself
    money can definitely be made if a guy has the right connections . early on i considered offering prototype work for my previous employer to fill in time . I think they would have went for it since I designed and setup many of their products when I worked for them .
    i will agree with you on the long runs , it's brain numbing . At first i was excited doing my own production but then its brain numbing to . designing something new and seeing the finished product is much more fun , but at least i can turn on my tv which is hooked to my pc and watch movies