587,997 active members*
2,095 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: G72 and G70 wont both run in the same program

Mactec,

Unfortunately, I agree with you are am sure you are correct. It has been interesting to learn though. I started "making things" on a manual mill and lathe so CNC and G code is a huge step up, but writing G code is certainly not anywhere near the top of the mountain. My class is manual G code programming, so that is what I am doing. It's over in a few weeks though and after that. I am taking the class for "fun" so I don't know how much of this I will ever use. I have thought about getting a CNC Lathe which would be more useful to me than a Mill.

I talked with a friend who runs a machine shop which has a couple CNC Mills (not Haas) so my programs wouldn't run there and he said that he had not written a G code program in a bunch of years, if ever. He uses AutorCad (I think) and something else.

Thank you again for your help....

Re: G72 and G70 wont both run in the same program

Quote Originally Posted by johntlarson View Post
    Mactec,

Unfortunately, I agree with you are am sure you are correct. It has been interesting to learn though. I started "making things" on a manual mill and lathe so CNC and G code is a huge step up, but writing G code is certainly not anywhere near the top of the mountain. My class is manual G code programming, so that is what I am doing. It's over in a few weeks though and after that. I am taking the class for "fun" so I don't know how much of this I will ever use. I have thought about getting a CNC Lathe which would be more useful to me than a Mill.

I talked with a friend who runs a machine shop which has a couple CNC Mills (not Haas) so my programs wouldn't run there and he said that he had not written a G code program in a bunch of years, if ever. He uses AutorCad (I think) and something else.

Thank you again for your help....
    G-Code is a standard that will work for almost all machines, so the machines your friend has will use the same codes as a Haas, the only differences are some have a different format but the same codes don't change the way the machine will run all you need is to look at the format he is using and you will see the same codes being used it is only ( text ) and you can write it using Notepad save it and run it in a machine control

Lathes use different programing format and some different G-Codes, the basic G-Codes a lathe use's is the same, so if you interest is in Lathes then you should learn Lathe Programing

Anything you learn in classes programing by hand is good for understanding what each code does, and can help when looking at a program made in Cam Software, learning Cam software also can be very beneficial if you want to work with CNC machines Programing is a must
    Mactec54