588,199 active members*
4,739 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Big Bamboo - New Machine Project Started

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    No kidding....I am getting to the point where I can actually use this machine to make some parts for itself, e.g. the limit/home switch housings and the parts that will be the dust enclosure for the x-and y- screws and rails. But first I had to build the cooling duct for the spindle with the dust brushes. The front and side brushes move up and down on drawer slides to clear the collet for bit installation and when the bit dives into the blank.

Last picture is my elegant trash can cyclone dust machine. But works pretty good and easy to build.

Are you still happy with the dust setup drawing past the spindle? EDIT: I see you changed it a little later, but the principle is still the same - dust hose to above spindle, then a duct around the spindle.

Thinking of similar
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Re: Big Bamboo - New Machine Project Started

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Are you still happy with the dust setup drawing past the spindle? EDIT: I see you changed it a little later, but the principle is still the same - dust hose to above spindle, then a duct around the spindle.

Thinking of similar
    Absolutely! The air-cooled "water-cooled spindle" still works perfectly after 8 (or is it 10?) years or so. Barely gets warm even with bigger bits and at high feed rate. No water hoses, reservoir, pump, radiator, fouling, leaks whatsoever. No noisy air-cooling fan other than the dust collector that I need anyway.
    I was tempted to improve the dust shoe at the bottom of the conduit because depending on the part to be cut it does allow larger chips to escape. But then, so far I was too lazy and it is not so bad. At least the fine dust is completely collected.
    Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET