587,699 active members*
3,593 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Fanuc System 9 Lost Memory.....

Memoryman, very interesting. I made an assumption and thought the "1M" in the part # meant 1 megabyte because the original bubble memory also had "1M" in the name. I have attached a photo of the 2 boards I have installed in the machine at the moment. The 2nd slot is a 256 BMU and was always in there.

We finished transcribing the tape and error checking. We had a few errors installing the homemade file, but ultimately we were able to get the machine to boot from the hardware config shown in photo and now the CNC shows/moves all 5 axis.

Because we have the sister machine documents/files to compare to the differences between the 2 machines was approximately 500 bytes of data. Most certainly the tape labeled "system parameters" contains some sort of hardware specific setup. The other approx 12,000 bytes are identical to the sister machine.

We just got the CNC to boot about 30 minutes ago. We now need to load the programs and find out if making parts is possible or we have other issues to work through.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SRAM_BMU.jpg  

That is a common wrong assumption. The FS9 has 4 BMU slots; each can accommodate a BMU of up to 512kBytes; the first slot must be at least 128kBYTES and has the system loaded, with the remaining space used for part programs. However, the TOTAL part program memory cannot exceed 1.5 MBYTES combining all 4 BMUs.

I will also mention our inventory of memory below, all used:

The original boards are:
    BMU 1M
    BMU 256-1

Additional boards:
    SRAM BMU 1M
    BMU 1M
    BMU 256-I
    BMU 256

We have a lot of combinations to try, one thing I do not understand is the defect loop #s. What are they and specifically how to enter them accurately. Some of the BMUs have numbers which look like "***221***" out of the normal row of 3 digit numbers. I thought it was possible we were not initializing the memory correctly?

The BMU boards are in BITS, so divide by 8 to get # of BYTES So your total BMU memory in BYTES is: 128k + 128k +32k + 32k; a single 512kBYTE board would give you more!