Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
Almost all VFDs are 3ph input even if they advertise 1ph in (or 1ph or 3ph in). That includes those HY VFDs.

Almost any 220v 3ph VFD can be run on 1ph 240v. That includes the ones I sent you links for.

Most in the diy crowd (myself included) use a VFD as a phase converter.

What matters is if the VFD is large enough to handle the incoming and outgoing amps. That's why people derate a 3 phase vfd when running it off 1 phase.

To output the 20a 3ph your spindle needs from a 1ph source the VFD will have have to draw 34a. That's why the VFD rating has to be larger than the spindle.

If you had 3 phase power you could use a 5.5kw vfd for a 5.5kw spindle.

The VFDs I sent you links for are both 15hp / 11kw 3ph so you can definitely use them to run a 7.5hp spindle from a 240v 1ph outlet.

$675 is a fantastic deal on a brand new 7.5hp ADEP 90. It's a $1600 discount over the current retail price.

Next you'll need 12awg 4 wire shielded flexible cable to connect the VFD to your spindle.

It looks like yours is a newer model than mine but if the connections are all the same size you'll need an M20 x 1.5 cable gland too.

I just bought one of these for myself and it's the only one I've found to date that actually fits the cable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401907458033
You can't use a VFD Drive as a phase converter, it does not output a sin wave, so can't be used for anything other than powering an AC 3 phase motor