587,699 active members*
3,652 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Controller Advice Needed

Can I get some opinions on the following two torque curves? To me the performance looks similar with some slight differences especially at the lower rpm range but at 1050 rpm they appear very close.

Although I will be running them at 60V these curves only show up to 48V.

One of these appears to be available in the US and can be delivered in less than a week where the other would ship from China with a much longer delivery time and cost considerably more. I would like to know if by looking at the curves you see anything that stands out between the two, performance-wise.

Re: Controller Advice Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Sray View Post

Although I will be running them at 60V these curves only show up to 48V.
    One of these appears to be available in the US and can be delivered in less than a week where the other would ship from China with a much longer delivery time and cost considerably more. I would like to know if by looking at the curves you see anything that stands out between the two, performance-wise.

Because of the slightly lower inductance of the bottom one, it's curve is more consistent which makes it smoother running.
    The top one has a good start and then drops a little like a stone.

Chances are you will NEVER get near 1000rpm on any stepper. Around the 800rpm mark is getting towards their limit if you don;t want any missed steps etc.
    Feeding a lower inductance motor with higher voltage gives them more consistency and smoothness.
    Higher inductance can also lead to more chance of resonance noise which in it self can make them stall.
    In both cases the higher voltage of 60v+ gives them more reliability at higher speeds.

Hands down the 24HP39-5004S is the one to get. Don't be put off buying things from China if you're getting something good and worthwhile.
    Longest wait I've ever had in the u.k. is 14 days via snail mail.
    You don't really feel it at all and you always find something on the machine to fiddle with in the meantime.

Both motors will perform well on the higher 60+ voltage though. The top one may be less efficient and use a little bit more power (current) on acceleration so may run slightly hotter than the bottom one.