588,075 active members*
4,976 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > DIY CNC Stutter - Intermittent Issue

Hybrid View

Re: DIY CNC Stutter - Intermittent Issue

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    What spindle are you running and VFD Drive??

When you read the VFD Drive at 3.8A to 4Amps that is per phase times that by 3 so you are pulling 12Amps.

How is the wiring, spindle Grounding, spindle Shielded Cable and correct Shield Grounding??

Do you have EMI Power Filters, for the VFD Drive and the Power supplies??
    I'm running a Huanyang VFD with and HY 2.2Kw motor. I assumed that the amperage read out on the drive would match with the max amp parameter setting. I believe I have that parameter underrated slightly at 9 amps.

The VFD is wired on a separate 220 circuit with a line reactor between the mains and VFD. VFD to the spindle is wired with the shielded spindle cable that is grounded at a single point to earth.

The power supplies do not have any EMI Power filters.

I have not ran the machine since the first time after installing the new unregulated PS. Likely I will need to run it again this weekend and will report back how it is running.

Quote Originally Posted by tfinses View Post
    I'm running a Huanyang VFD with and HY 2.2Kw motor. I assumed that the amperage read out on the drive would match with the max amp parameter setting. I believe I have that parameter underrated slightly at 9 amps.

The VFD is wired on a separate 220 circuit with a line reactor between the mains and VFD. VFD to the spindle is wired with the shielded spindle cable that is grounded at a single point to earth.

The power supplies do not have any EMI Power filters.

I have not ran the machine since the first time after installing the new unregulated PS. Likely I will need to run it again this weekend and will report back how it is running.
    Your spindle Amp rating would be 8.5 to 9Amps would be correct, unless you have set the overload Parameters the VFD Drive will supply up to 200% more than your 9Amp setting, the VFD Drive reading of 4 Amps =12Amps so you have not set the overload to 100% or 110% seems to be safe for these spindles.

The spindle cable shield is incorrectly Grounded, you also have a Ground loop if you have 2 Main AC Power supplies connected to your machine, the line reactor will help a little, the EMI Power Filter is best, reactor is not needed. only a quality EMI Power Filter

The spindle cable needs to be corrected; the shield needs to be clamped to the Ground Plane and clamped at both ends.

For the Machines Main Power supply, would have to see some photos to help you correct it.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Your spindle Amp rating would be 8.5 to 9Amps would be correct, unless you have set the overload Parameters the VFD Drive will supply up to 200% more than your 9Amp setting, the VFD Drive reading of 4 Amps =12Amps so you have not set the overload to 100% or 110% seems to be safe for these spindles.

The spindle cable shield is incorrectly Grounded, you also have a Ground loop if you have 2 Main AC Power supplies connected to your machine, the line reactor will help a little, the EMI Power Filter is best, reactor is not needed. only a quality EMI Power Filter

The spindle cable needs to be corrected; the shield needs to be clamped to the Ground Plane and clamped at both ends.

For the Machines Main Power supply, would have to see some photos to help you correct it.

I appreciate the help. I will check the overload parameter, but I can say that the spindle does not get much above ambient temperature while using it. The 4A reading is for 10 or so seconds so there probably isnt much time to overhead the spindle. Looking at the manual PD120 controls the stall prevention at constant speed. When it is set to 0 overload protection is off. I have not changed this parameter, so it is likely set to 0. I am not so sure how this protection helps as the machine is still going to keep pushing through the cut. The parameter description does not say that it triggers a fault only that it drops the frequency. I should add that due to the 5mm pitch ballscrews typically I am running the spindle around 15K rpm to get a decent chipload.

For the spindle shield I will get a clamp for the VFD end. From what I understand I need to do the same at the spindle end. Where would you recommend doing that on the spindle?

For the machine main power supply the machine now has one unregulated supply to provide power to the drives, stepper motors, and control board. I think you are saying that between the drive power supply and VFD supply there is technically a ground loop, correct?