Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hall View Post
Well I have no idea how I did not come across this before. It look like the IPC-5 power supply from Teknic would support my Servo drive setup and it is only a 350 watt power supply. That being said one of these Linmot power supplies would be plenty for this machine if that is the case. I understand that like the specs say on the teknic chart that use will heavily determine what power supply is used or how many drives cane be powered off one power supply. Any thoughts on this? The linmot power supplies I have are slightly lower voltage but provide more amps than the ICP-5 from Teknic. The ICP-5 normally powers between 2-6 drives depending on setup and my drives are in the list.

As said, in most cases drives are only using a fraction of their rated power and rarely do two or more require full power at the same time. So you can get away with a smaller power supply and the raw numbers would indicate. If I were building a panel for a customer, I might go with about 60% of the sum of the power of all the drives, again depending on the application. For myself, I would go maybe a bit less, maybe only enough to power one drive at full power continuously. I use servo motors in applications other than motion control applications. So many times I know I'll only be using a small fraction of the rated power output.