587,613 active members*
3,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Basic Wiring Questions for VFD

Not sure but would not think you would know him.

I have made a mistake in which I posted this on another thread and though it was in here but you are missing a big chunk of the puzzle. I am converting to a VFD / spindle and before this was being controlled by a SuperPID thus the reason for a C10 board. The PID was converting the PWM so I am sorry I really thought that was posted. I got a little confused because the PID board only turned on and off the spindle and for some reason I could never get it to work with PWM control.
    I am going to purchase the C11g which I hope is a direct bolt up replacement and I wire it up so I can tighty up the panel and not use a bunch of relays etc. Stay tuned I am sure I will have more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by RufusToad View Post
    Not sure but would not think you would know him.

I have made a mistake in which I posted this on another thread and though it was in here but you are missing a big chunk of the puzzle. I am converting to a VFD / spindle and before this was being controlled by a SuperPID thus the reason for a C10 board. The PID was converting the PWM so I am sorry I really thought that was posted. I got a little confused because the PID board only turned on and off the spindle and for some reason I could never get it to work with PWM control.
    I am going to purchase the C11g which I hope is a direct bolt up replacement and I wire it up so I can tighty up the panel and not use a bunch of relays etc. Stay tuned I am sure I will have more questions.
    If he does some videos, I would know him.

Yes, that board should work, but very poor information on the PWM setup, you will need a 12v power supply for that to work, so you may still have some problems moving forward
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If he does some videos, I would know him.

Yes, that board should work, but very poor information on the PWM setup, you will need a 12v power supply for that to work, so you may still have some problems moving forward
    Got just a first name and I will tell you??

Hallelujah, after a long time of learning and scratching my head, I finally got it done!! It's just hotwired until my new board comes but with some of your help and lots of persistence, I can now control my new spindle with Mach. Still a little confused about a few things but I will learn later...

Question
    Not sure I understand why I need 12v for that board (see attachment)? Can I use the 10v output on the VFD to power the new board if I need to?

Hallelujah, after a long time of learning and scratching my head, I finally got it done!! It's just hotwired until my new board comes but with some of your help and lots of persistence, I can now control my new spindle with Mach. Still a little confused about a few things but I will learn later...

Question
    Not sure I understand why I need 12v for that board (see attachment)? Can I use the 10v output on the VFD to power the new board if I need to?
    Yes, you could try the 10v from the VFD Drive, it may be enough, normally the PWM converter needs a little more voltage to give you the correct Analog output,0-10v so if the output is lower than say 9.8v you may need the 12v
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C11G Wiring.png  
    Mactec54

Question
    The 5v you show is just for the Optos on the Breakout Board this has nothing to do with the PWM circuit
    Mactec54

Perfect. I believe I understand what you're suggesting. I am doing a spindle break in right now (6hrs) and I'm using 5v for the PWM to VFD so fingers crossed this will be adequate. Board comes Tuesday so I shall see.

Perfect. I believe I understand what you're suggesting. I am doing a spindle break in right now (6hrs) and I'm using 5v for the PWM to VFD so fingers crossed this will be adequate. Board comes Tuesday so I shall see.
    What spindle do you have that needs a spindle break in, they have sealed Bearing, there is nothing to break in.

It is in the C11G manual so go through each section
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C11G Manual.PNG  
    Mactec54

Ugra Spindle. They specifically have a break in procedure for their spindles.