587,558 active members*
3,297 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Smithy > Help on cnc convert for a smithy 1324

Hybrid View

Smithy Cnc

Tim,
    If your interested I have a 1340 that I converted to cnc and ballscrews.
    I am converting it back to sell it.I have had to go to larger machines.
    I will sell the complete setup including the ballsrews and cnc setup plus the computer with MACH 3 ready to put on your machine.You will have to shorten the x axis ball screw but I believe everything else is the same.
    I also have the rotary table with a stepper motor that runs off the cnc setup.
    It is home built and uses gecko drives,check out Smithys' cataloge my machine was featured in there.
    It all works very well,I can send you photos of a cnc router that I cut alot of parts my Mastercam on my Smithy.
    If you live near Ohio you can come and try it out.

I'm interested if only the steeper motors have a double end. So I can do manual or cnc. unfortunitly i'm in california.

Tim

Cnc

No the motors aren,t double ends.
    With Mach 3 you can mill without making a program,you just don,t have to crank by hand.

Hey TPMX,

It's still My dad's machine, he's looking for the double ends on the stepper motors.

Sorry

Tim

CNC retrofiting a 3in1

TPMX,

I am currently looking at a Busy Bee 2229, wich I believe it's very similar to the Smith 1324.(shorter)
    The B229 is shown here:
    http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...5&NTITEM=B2229

I am interesed in a CNC retrofit kit for it.
    Sounds like your set up might do the job.

If it's still for sale, drop me a pm, or email me at [email protected]

regards

Mike D

QUOTE=TPMX;249209]Tim,
    If your interested I have a 1340 that I converted to cnc and ballscrews.
    I am converting it back to sell it.I have had to go to larger machines.
    I will sell the complete setup including the ballsrews and cnc setup plus the computer with MACH 3 ready to put on your machine.You will have to shorten the x axis ball screw but I believe everything else is the same.
    I also have the rotary table with a stepper motor that runs off the cnc setup.
    It is home built and uses gecko drives,check out Smithys' cataloge my machine was featured in there.
    It all works very well,I can send you photos of a cnc router that I cut alot of parts my Mastercam on my Smithy.
    If you live near Ohio you can come and try it out.[/QUOTE]

Smile

Actully looking for the cnc with the double ended motors so we can mount hte hand cranks on it.

Tim

Hi,
    My name is Del and like Tim I'm having difficulty finding a CNC conversion for my Smithy. Mine is a discontinued 3-1 model MI-1720 CNC. How would I learn to do it myself as TPMX did?? I can build many things but for this I will need a plan! I'm interested in shape cutting brass and al. with the mill. Any help appreciated!

Re: Smithy Cnc

I know this post is 13 years old but I wanted to know if you can recommend any sources of information how are you converted year 1340 machine to CNC. I would like to do exactly what you have described above including the Rotary table.