587,577 active members*
3,492 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > How to read 40 yo PLC Ladder from paper documentation.

How to read 40 yo PLC Ladder from paper documentation.

Hi there! Let me just say this upfront. I'm not asking for free PLC Ladder tutorial, I'm trying to YT/google whatever I can understand. There are some things I just don't understand and can't find. Need experts

I'm troubleshooting M06 process on my Fanuc 11M machine. CNC is my hobby. I have Ladder on paper and available to display on Fanuc NC too. I'd like to understand what goes into M06, which limit switches, timers, coils etc. I wrote quick script to convert my photos to pdf and OCR it, so that you could do normal text search if you'd like to take a look. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tlD...ew?usp=sharing

I have two example screenshots from the doc and I'd like to ask you this regarding those markers:

1.Description says its ADDRESS in NC memory.

• How to understand this format format?
    • Why letter on the beginning? Is it from relay ladder conventions X - for input Y-for output?
    • Does (.) dot have special meaning ?
    • Can I find state of this memory location somewhere in Fanuc 11m NC ? I know I can get to the service menu where I can display Ladder on the screen and also query for parameters and other stuff. Can I query NC also for those memory locations ?

2. From what I gathered those are numbers I can search by, to find later in the ladder, where this memory/symbol is used in the program. Am I right? Are those numbers NODE numbers? I mean relay ladders have node numbering for wires with the same electric potentials. Those numbers are also displayed next to rung numbers ( take a look at marker 8)

3. I wanted to ask about 3 but now I think those two symbols are unrelated. It just info that this address is used somehow near 2141 node number?

4. Those are rung NO and they are unique. But then why do they print those longer numbers which are unique too (marked as 8).?
    5. Why they print two rung numbers in the comment? How do I now connect this output to 61I & 61J. Does it mean that output from this rung goes as input into those other two?
    6. Why do they print rung numbers below those normally open switches/memory locations ? Does it mean that those switches are inputs to those rungs (59A,99I)?
    7. Is this symbol for coil (from relay ladder)? Does ( ) mean that this is memory location that directly drives sth like solenoid or relay ?
    8. I asked that before. Why alternative numbering of rungs. Both systems are unique.

That's a lot of questions. Sorry. This is all new to me. All tutorials on YT are related to modern style PC/Graphical style of analyzing and are not helping me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xO7...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lo24j8NlwjobVkJCJLw_PWBLvUyhG1Dq/view?usp=sharing

Re: How to read 40 yo PLC Ladder from paper documentation.

It has been a few decades since I worked on writing Fanuc ladder but the prefixes X & Y refer to INput and OUTput, the R is an internal relay registers e.g R0028.5 is register word 28 and 5 is the bit location in that word.
    The Fanuc ladder and the CNC side communicate through a common memory bank, e.g. the CNC would pass an M(achine) code over to the ladder where it is processed and the end result is sent back to the CNC side with a FIN(ish) signal when completed.
    BTW, all R,S, M etc codes use a FIN signal in this way.
    If a program hangs, the first thing to check is the appropriate FIN signal.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

1.Description says its ADDRESS in NC memory. See the video link for a description of addresses.

2. From what I gathered those are numbers I can search by, to find later in the ladder, where this memory/symbol is used in the program. Am I right? Are those numbers NODE numbers? I mean relay ladders have node numbering for wires with the same electric potentials. Those numbers are also displayed next to rung numbers ( take a look at marker 8) Those are called step numbers. Each contact and coil used in the ladder is a step. Count the number of steps in each network. See attached. Note- the attachment is for a newer style control.
    Attachment 475904

3. I wanted to ask about 3 but now I think those two symbols are unrelated. It just info that this address is used somehow near 2141 node number? That is the step number where you will find this address

4. Those are rung NO and they are unique. But then why do they print those longer numbers which are unique too (marked as 8).? Step numbers and rung numbers are both printed

5. Why they print two rung numbers in the comment? How do I now connect this output to 61I & 61J. Does it mean that output from this rung goes as input into those other two? The coil is used as a contact on these rung numbers.

6. Why do they print rung numbers below those normally open switches/memory locations ? Does it mean that those switches are inputs to those rungs (59A,99I)? That is the location in the ladder where you will find the coils for the contacts

7. Is this symbol for coil (from relay ladder)? Does ( ) mean that this is memory location that directly drives sth like solenoid or relay ? It can be. This is the output for the ladder. If it is a Y-address, it can turn on a coil

8. I asked that before. Why alternative numbering of rungs. Both systems are unique. Not sure what you are asking here.

Link to Address Video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvezGLI_dxg

Link to M-code video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64X-oDawfQQ&t=47s

The numbers referenced by your number 5 are page numbers in your ladder manual. THese page numbers refer to other signals that relate to this wrung in the ladder that the're written after.

Meaning 61J is page 61, row J

Shoprag thank you for your time! :cheers: I spent all weekend figuring out what's what. And most of my conclusions were in line in what you've described. Those YT links are great too. Looking at that modern ladder example U've attached I'm amazed if not shocked how little have changed overt 4 decades in this. I mean this is fantastic! I'm software dev. by day and what is going on in my industry is crazy. New frameworks, programming languages, trends every damn month! This is madness, e.g. you polishing your skills to be effective with one tool/framework/language and 4 years later you're dinosaur. In contrast I love that I can use today's YT tutorials and conventions like X, Y, F etc addresses and still relate them to CNC control that was manufactured in 83!!!! I love that.

I am sure I'm in the wrong trade man!

Cheers
    Lukas