587,737 active members*
3,090 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Wiring Drivers & Spindle to Breakout Board for Mach3 conversion

Threaded View

Wiring Drivers & Spindle to Breakout Board for Mach3 conversion

I have a SaleCNC.com XJ6090... Its a 3-axis vertical mill with about 2'x3' working area... woodworking machine mainly.
    It came with a NCstudio controller, everything works great... but now I need a 4th axis which the NCstudio card does not support.
    I'm adding a rotary axis for wood turning and must have true 4-axis control... cant just swap the X or Y axis with the rotary.
    Ncstudio uses its own PCI card, cable and breakout board, so either I need a new card or have to switch to the parallel port.

I'm going to change everything over to I guess Mach3 and use the parallel port, but Im open to other suggestions.
    I bought a breakout board... I believe it's good to use for Mach3 and thats what I could use some help with... the wiring and setup.

Controllers = (all 4) are 'Leadshine M542' microstep drivers.
    Spindle = SunFar E300-2S0022L
    Steppers = 57BYGH311-01 2 Phase Hybrid Stepping Motor
    Power Supply = GY400W-40-A

Attachments:
    The 'Mach Breakout Wiring' diagram is how i think it should be wired... but not sure.
    IMG 1497 is the new M542 driver and new Breakout Board I need to install.
    'NCSetupCardEng.jpg' is how the machine is currently wired.
    IMG 372 is a pic of the breakout board, controllers, power supply and spindle inverter in the CNC as it currently sits.

I'm a little confused on the power.
    There are 4 power connectors on the breakout board (VCC, VSS, GND, VDD)
    I assume the VCC is getting +5v from the parallel port which goes to DIR/PULSE positive?
    Or am I supposed to supply +5vdc to VCC from an external power supply and instead use the VDD for DIR/PULSE positive on the controllers?

I think I read somewhere that pin 1 & 14 are always on?
    My spindle is currently setup for 3 signal pins to trigger high/med/low speeds which are preset in the spindle controller.. am I using the right breakout board pins or is there a problem here?
    If I can change it over to 1 pin that can can send a PWM signal or w/e to the spindle to set any speed, that would be highly preferred.

Do I need to bridge the ground from the breakout board to the power supply ground?
    Since the power supply runs the motors and spindle, and the signal is received from the breakout board, they have different grounds so I need to bridge them?

When I install Mach3, it asks for the board speed... i.e. 100khz
    How do I decide which speed to use?

Thanks guys, looking forward to getting this converted!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0372.JPG   Mach Breakout Wiring.jpg