587,597 active members*
3,788 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Ball screws are a bit crunchy. :) What to do?

Hybrid View

Re: Ball screws are a bit crunchy. :) What to do?

The best way to go after this is to take the screw and nut out of the machine (assuming it isn't a thrust bearing issue), pump a bunch of thin oil or even a light solvent through the nut/s while turning the screw with the shields off. You can use some compressed air on them too. Then re-oil and assemble. Of course some nuts have to come off the screw to be removed, I have a tool as mentioned by others for that, but then I put the nut back on the screw once out and flush them as described. I just run the screw with my electric drill and hold the nut in the shop vise while cleaning.

I went through this a while back with my X and while I never found anything specific that came out asides from general dirtiness, the nut smoothed right up and has been working fine since.

Re: Ball screws are a bit crunchy. :) What to do?

In reality, it's not that complicated to dissemble the ball nuts in entirety, clean the balls, clean the nuts and reassemble. It might seem daunting...but it's really quite easy. Doing it this way can identify any broken balls, etc, which aren't going to be repaired with a simple grease or oil flush treatment.

Stuart
    "THE GRIZZ" photo album - https://goo.gl/photos/yLLp61jooprtYzFK7
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT2lq9obzEnlEu-M56ZzT_A