588,620 active members*
4,931 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: LMS 3990 conversion to CNC

theres still lots of room for someone who wants to put out a decent kit for x2 mills .
    Any converted bench top mill/drill is a turd in the big scheme of things but they work and can get the job done if a guy works within their limits and knows how to make them work . The x2 beats the crap out of using a sherline or the other small brands . The key thing is they are mill/drills and they were never designed for heavy mill work
    I had 1 for a hobby machine which was a drill press made butcher job conversion but it worked and it was a cheap conversion , within no time it turned into 4 plus a g0704 . I've since upgraded and they all sit in the corner of my garage , except I'll be setting at least 2 of them back up for prototyping , and the original one will be going into a trophy like show case in my shop . Them little mills can produce some very fine detailed work but they have to be maintained and adjusted every few hundred hours of machining , it's a small price to pay for what a guy can get out of them

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    theres still lots of room for someone who wants to put out a decent kit for x2 mills .
    Any converted bench top mill/drill is a turd in the big scheme of things but they work and can get the job done if a guy works within their limits and knows how to make them work . The x2 beats the crap out of using a sherline or the other small brands . The key thing is they are mill/drills and they were never designed for heavy mill work
    I had 1 for a hobby machine which was a drill press made butcher job conversion but it worked and it was a cheap conversion , within no time it turned into 4 plus a g0704 . I've since upgraded and they all sit in the corner of my garage , except I'll be setting at least 2 of them back up for prototyping , and the original one will be going into a trophy like show case in my shop . Them little mills can produce some very fine detailed work but they have to be maintained and adjusted every few hundred hours of machining , it's a small price to pay for what a guy can get out of them
    True on the sherline lol.
    I found that shallowish cuts with 8mm was X2 bearable but it wasn't very quick. Did a fair bit of slotting though.
    The drawback I found was that if you used thrust bearings on Chinese C7 screws you could get a wobbly screw due to how it sat.
    The table would pick up on it, leave marks and wear the gib prematurely.
    My STRONG advice is to make your own X axis end bearing plates and Y axis front bearing mount to take 28/12/8 (7001) Angular contact bearings in there. (That's if you use 1605 ballscrews).
    They are mint to use and make a massive difference. (fit them back to back, I think).

Design could be with a bearing in either side of the mount pressing onto a 3 to 4mm thick central ridge meaning 19-20mn bearing set, then +0.5mm either side for clearance making part 21mm in total.
    Make sure ballscrew shaft machined end to seat the bearing load on is no more than 19mm long to the threads though.
    If you use 1204 ballscrews you can use 10/26/8 (7000) AC but the screws aren't as strong as 1605.

I use the 12/32/10 (7201) with 1605DFU on the PM clone.

I think you should roughly get my meaning with this.