Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
Hi All - Cast the billet today. Started a bit odd but evened out thru the fill. Peter Went to workshop to check on the cast and it had melted the EPS I put on top of it so it got to +80deg C which is its transition temp. Technically it doesnl;t melt at that temp just goes soft.
Peter, reading your initial description of the billet "recipe", initially seemed you were setting up a typical sandwich construction section of outside laminated skins (high performance material)-in this case carbon fiber cloth and some form of lower density material in the middle seperating the 2 skins..ie "steel fibers (dry matrixed +eventual epoxy infusion ) inbetween faces > binding the whole billet together with the epoxy infusion of steel fibers + CF faces. I guess my duh alternative explanation is the whole billet is a dry mix of chopped C.F. + varying steel fibers all infused/bonded with epoxy forming an isotropic 22mm to 25mm plate . The images that followed suggested the "duh alternative" since I didn't see any typical black carbon fiber cloth faces. In the Milli thread l, I thought you also recently decided just using 2 sheets of steel preformed and then bonded together with epoxy forming a steel laminate for the saddle was the cost effective stiffer way to go. Is the overall current process considered proprietary ? Does this billet have one of your great stress/deflection/FEA analysis plots and any mechanical properties (? bending kpsi, tortion kpsi, Youngs mod, CTE (close to steel @ about 7 vs lower in 1-4 range) , etc How do you transfer point specific loads into the billet without tearing the cf skin - like fastner/threaded ?. Also any worry about electrolysis corrosion of the steel fibers over time sinceost CF is somewhat conductive ? Thanks again for sharing your expertise. CLM

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk