588,616 active members*
4,118 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Gantry 3-axis milling machine Design preparation phase

Hybrid View

Re: Gantry 3-axis milling machine Design preparation phase

Hi Mogi - a concrete casting like this attached. I have always been hesitant due to getting the "top" flat and being able to cast the bottom or sides with a honeycomb as I thought I had to cast up[side down. But by casting upright you can place the voids in the cast to get the honeycomb then at the end use self levelling to get the tops level & flat... I have cast several small things in grout and it has been easy and the results are really good. You can take your time with the moulds and make sure they are exactly as you want them then cast in your own time... I think its a great process. Peter

https://youtu.be/4lE81uPfA64

I've just made some carbon fibre panels and had them tested and they got E=40GPa. I get some concrete grout from a local supplier and get 40GPa out of the bag just add water. No vacuum or plastic consumables expensive tapes and sealing issues just pour it into the mould. I'd go grout... Heres a grout with 56Gpa modulus...sika 3350

I can tell you're a designer and by using grout you can get the geometry and thicknesses where you want plus a bit of flair and it will be sexy. Using steel will be limiting and frustrating using std sections and nuts and bolts have limits too... Keep at it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails concrete.jpg  

Re: Gantry 3-axis milling machine Design preparation phase

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Mogi - a concrete casting like this attached. I have always been hesitant due to getting the "top" flat and being able to cast the bottom or sides with a honeycomb as I thought I had to cast up[side down. But by casting upright you can place the voids in the cast to get the honeycomb then at the end use self levelling to get the tops level & flat... I have cast several small things in grout and it has been easy and the results are really good. You can take your time with the moulds and make sure they are exactly as you want them then cast in your own time... I think its a great process. Peter

https://youtu.be/4lE81uPfA64

I've just made some carbon fibre panels and had them tested and they got E=40GPa. I get some concrete grout from a local supplier and get 40GPa out of the bag just add water. No vacuum or plastic consumables expensive tapes and sealing issues just pour it into the mould. I'd go grout... Heres a grout with 56Gpa modulus...sika 3350

I can tell you're a designer and by using grout you can get the geometry and thicknesses where you want plus a bit of flair and it will be sexy. Using steel will be limiting and frustrating using std sections and nuts and bolts have limits too... Keep at it...
    Hi Peter, Thank you for you awesome advices for sure it will change the way I look into things, I have about 1 year to plan for the machine, then I will build it, too busy with other stuff + I got new born that is why is the delay, so I'm spending the time collecting data and designing
    Bout the grout, in my country the cheapest 25kg pack I can find cost about 18$ to 25$ and each of this package can cover 12.5 liter of volume
    I calculated my machine bed it will be 160cm x 120cm x 10cm so only with 10cm grout as bed it will be 0.2 cubic meter which mean 200 liter so I will need 16 pack of this grout so about 300$ at minimum
    In my country scrap steel 1kg cost 0.8$ and new Steel cost 1.6$ So I'm not sure which is the logical design to go with
    Same volume with concret can cost at max 30$

About the sides Maybe I can support them with steel pipe that is filled with this grout pr even without, I have to check on Solidworks to play with the design to reach the goal I'm looking for.