Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
Now we need to discuss concrete. Why do you want to use concrete? Two main reasons 1) to add mass. Steel is 4x denser and 7x stiffer then concrete and cheaper so add steel if you want to add mass 2) Its damper? well the machine base rarely vibrates so why add a damp material to the base? The Z axis and saddle are the main culprits in the damping/vibration area so they need attention not the base and a 3rd reason is this machine is going to be wet with lubricant. It will get everywhere and it will seep down the joints between the concrete and steel and 2-3 years or less the concrete will be a separate mass to the machine and be pointless & be a problem. I strongly suggest you stay in the steel universe. Unless you want to cast a machine base and thats totally fine.

Then you will have to seriously consider swarf and what do you want to make with this machine? A good machine is tailored to its purpose. A general purpose machine is always compromised in some way. If your only going to make small parts then a big gantry machine does not make sense etc. So this machine is going to make huge amounts of steel or aluminium swarf which will be a problem. Look at commercial machines and decide if you are going to make a swarf tray. ie there will be a table with slots each side and the swarf falls into a tray. This cannot be done if you make a closed machine base and you will have to shovel swarf out into garbage bins. Its better to solve all of these things at the design stage rather then down the track. Your options are good at the design stage poor once you start making things... The enclosure, swarf and lub system need to be thought thru. Peter
Hi peter,
About why i wanna use Concrete, langmuir used it, and since i'm copying their design so i'm going with it and here is the reasons why it make sense to me.
1. Concrete in my country is way to cheap how i calculated concrete will add about 400kg to the machine base which will cost about 50$ if i wanna add that kg of steel it will cost 500$
2. Already i will have a steel plate planted inside the concrete that will be the bolting surface for the vises it will weigh about 80kg
3. above concert will be epoxy layer to cover it from the elements and to create a coolant flowing surface

You can see the assembly of Mr-1 here https://www.langmuirsystems.com/mr1/assembly