587,914 active members*
3,755 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Axis orientation flips

ok so I have to use Solidworks 2011 with solidcam 2010.

------------------- Mill Results ---------------------------
    I have tried using just 'Mill' create paths, but the '4-axis' option is greyed out and will only do 3-axis cuts.

------------------- Mill-Turn Results ----------------------
    I have gotten a simultaneous 4-axis cut to successfully simulate by using 'mill-turn' instead of 'mill'.
    Unfortunately I cannot simulate using 'SolidVerify', its greyed out... only options are 'Host CAD' and '2D'.
    Sim with host cad shows it rotating while cutting and is following the pocket, looks like a good result!

but, when I look at the output... the rotary axis is C-axis rather than A-axis... I use Mach3 on my CNC and I saw you can define both C-axis and A-axis, so I'm assuming it doesnt really matter if the g-code output is for A or C.

The only post processor solidcam mill-turn has is 'Nakamora'.
    When I try to produce G-code it gives an error:
    "Warning: This is not a production ready post and must be modified to the machine tool requirements before use"
    The G-code output looks very wicked, nothing like I normally see.... and I only see C, X and Z axis instructions, there should be lots of Y-axis as that runs the length of the stock... I would guess 90% of the code is C-axis

Is this caused by not having the right post processor?

Re: Axis orientation flips

Quote Originally Posted by viroy View Post
    I use Mach3 on my CNC and I saw you can define both C-axis and A-axis, so I'm assuming it doesnt really matter if the g-code output is for A or C.
    In fact that matters the most.
    As I said before you can not run A axis along Y, and swapping axis names will only confuse you.
    A axis is rotary along X axis, B axis is rotary along Y axis and C axis is rotary along Z axis.
    You need to start from this.