587,698 active members*
3,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 9 of 15 7891011
    yeah joe I will this week for you, best way to show you everything at once.. anyhow, I just cut the DC sides and bottom, they came out great! The cutting board idea is so creative. I still have room if I'm careful to cut maybe 2 or 3 of those clamps I saw david and you use . But I think those were from 3/4 material, I could be wrong though. Parts look good, a little tlc from a sharp chisel and the bumps are minor, nothing worse than what I saw on joe's cut hdpe parts so I know I'm not too far off. One thing I will mention though is that it was quite the battle, fighting off all those plastic chips! I was covered by the time both gcode files were run, even holding the hose to it . THe plastic cuts like butter though. Cut them at 60 IPM 10 accel, will post pics when I get back from HD of the finished attachment.

And a video documen. this week.

I cut the clamps from 0.5"

thanks david, have the g code for the clamps? will cut those while I have the stuff still screwed down and test the new dc hookup at the same time

Well I got a fair amount accomplished this weekend on my joe's 06' machine. Appreciate all the help, files, and tidbits from members here and joe. David always comin' to the rescue.

Anyhow, the fruits of the labor.

A mahogany sign for someone that got me looking for cncs otherwise I would have never found the zone or built this machine. He deserves my first good piece of work. 150% better than the first one I cut of the same design, just tinkered with the gcode file, took lighter slower passes and the bumps were non existent. Ran it at about 50 IPM 10 accel. 1/8" deep passes MAX, 1/6th" on the vcarve. It took awhile, but I'm willing to wait for quality, many of you might agree.

The dust collection piped in, bungeed from the ceiling on a bar so it slides at the center point both ways, it's working very well, just need a better bristle structure like the one david purchased instead of my hack job at a $5 home depot hand broom lol.

And my nifty cheap way at mounting an e-stop. They are outdoor rated recepticles with a flat cover, just drilled a hole in it, mounted it and will wire it up when I get the patience to conquer the multifunction boards again heh. Purchased the estop (basically a proxy switch with an arcade style push button) from cnc4pc.

Thoughts, suggestions, critisism all welcome. :rainfro:

Look very good, Yes i agree, the quality is what i would be after, just let the machine do its job and you can go be doing something else while it works, like surf the CNCZone... lol

looks like you are there now with the machine, great work.

I like that E-stop button, simple yet functional.

Joe

Great job Brian! The sign looks very nice!

How well persentage wise do the dust collectors work? Would you say the pick up 70, 80 percent?

I've got to get a DC cut and installed, the amount of dust from the roadrunner cut I did was increadible!

I'm not entirely worried about getting everything because the only way to do that would be to get in the way of the tool path. The best I want is so that all airborne debree is picked up and that it remains on top of the table. Then I pull the hose out of the fitting and suck up the rest. It's almost there, but I need better bristles. IMO buy what david bought, I will try to find the link he posted, I'm purchasing it tomorrow. The time spent hacking up a broom is useless when that stuff is so cheap. Plus I'm sure david would agree the chip control is pretty damn good with that setup in there. For me now it's about 50%, with the new bristles, probably 75%, the rest remaining in the cracks and on top of the piece being cut. One thing I have noticed is the bristles are in the way of tool changing. Can't wait to later down the road have an ATC after joe and david put a lot of time on it; I will likely follow their footsteps .

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    I'm not entirely worried about getting everything because the only way to do that would be to get in the way of the tool path. The best I want is so that all airborne debree is picked up and that it remains on top of the table. Then I pull the hose out of the fitting and suck up the rest. It's almost there, but I need better bristles. IMO buy what david bought, I will try to find the link he posted, I'm purchasing it tomorrow. The time spent hacking up a broom is useless when that stuff is so cheap. Plus I'm sure david would agree the chip control is pretty damn good with that setup in there. For me now it's about 50%, with the new bristles, probably 75%, the rest remaining in the cracks and on top of the piece being cut. One thing I have noticed is the bristles are in the way of tool changing. Can't wait to later down the road have an ATC after joe and david put a lot of time on it; I will likely follow their footsteps .
    You'll get a lot better dust collection if you don't constrict the flow with that shop vac hose. BTDT
    Steve
    DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S WRONG!

The only thing I would do when I replace my bristles is get longer ones. You can get flexible backed bristles from McMaster (search for strip brush) They are'nt that cheap (about $36). I tried the metal backed ones but they will not bend properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Madclicker View Post
    You'll get a lot better dust collection if you don't constrict the flow with that shop vac hose. BTDT
    Well it was the peer pressure. Everyone else was doing it. But wouldn't a smaller hose bring more suction anyways? for example if you put your hand in the tube it sucks heavier, if you take it out it spreads the air out and creates less suction. I could be entirely wrong though. Only thing I'm positive about is that the hoses with ridges in them cause suction loss and that it is crucial to run hose lines in straight pipes as close to the machine as possible. Flex piping loses suction, or so I've heard for years.

Quote Originally Posted by David Da Costa View Post
    The only thing I would do when I replace my bristles is get longer ones. You can get flexible backed bristles from McMaster (search for strip brush) They are'nt that cheap (about $36). I tried the metal backed ones but they will not bend properly.

Really? will look into it more. I'm not concerned about price, just want to keep things tidy, stuff in the bearings or in the way of them doesn't do any good.

You do not need alot of suction pwer to pick up air born dust. You need air flow. Reducing hose resticts air flow on a dust collector

Dwayne
    Never underestimate the power of Stupid People in large groups.

Dust collection is about air flow. When you reduce the diameter by half, you restrict the flow about 4 times. Shop vacs work by suction. That's what lifts and removes heavier objects.
    Steve

Ah, that would make sense, but I will test it out some more with cutting things like MDF where airborne dust will be a lot more significant (as apposed to chips).

Rule of thumb: Dust collectors make lousy shop vacs and shop vacs make lousy dust collectors.
    Steve

Well some videos from not too long ago. My cell phone is not the best of video quality so bear with me. Plus its a pita to get videos off. It's a microsd card on my phone isn't compatible because LG screwed up their software, so it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Then have to convert their stupid video format (trial program) that only allows up to a certain percentage of the file. Anyhow, some mahogany cutting and hdpe. Enjoy. I do have another on the way of the sound its making when cutting on a funky back and forth tool path, broke the upspiral bit but just got another one, lowered the RPMs and its still doing it. Will post that tomorrow night.

vid1
    vid2
    vid3

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    Well some videos from not too long ago. My cell phone is not the best of video quality so bear with me. Plus its a pita to get videos off. It's a microsd card on my phone isn't compatible because LG screwed up their software, so it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Then have to convert their stupid video format (trial program) that only allows up to a certain percentage of the file. Anyhow, some mahogany cutting and hdpe. Enjoy. I do have another on the way of the sound its making when cutting on a funky back and forth tool path, broke the upspiral bit but just got another one, lowered the RPMs and its still doing it. Will post that tomorrow night.

vid1
    vid2
    vid3
    Sounds and looks like your machine is doing really good!
    Any still shots of the finished items?

thanks sparky, one of the videos you will hear in the beginning a sound, that was from awhile back when I had that weird noise from the x axis, I haven't heard it in a while.. glad

tightened the machine up well, I think that's the trick, and I think my rod was bent but overtime the machine worked it back in place so its good..

I will post pics of work soon

Here is the video I mentioned. I asked joe to take a look and give me his thoughts but I would like any elses as well. I'm pretty new to some of this stuff and I've never experienced this sound from hand cutting and I've taken some pretty heavy deep passes with routers before. I'm running it in the video at 60IPM 1/8" pass in some sapele (fairly soft wood) at router setting of a little more than 3. I hit the estop though as well and for some reason I lost my place in mach3 and my machine is zerod out in the middle of the toolpath. Anyone know if there is a fairly accurate way to start even on that tool path file? As in, finding my start point and regening the toolpath? I'de hate to lose the wood and the machine time in vcarving the first couple paths on the job. Thanks.

LINK

Oh and just to clarify I stopped it last time and brought it back to my home so I just ran this again on the same path and didn't lose it, that's why you don't hear the noise until half way into the video when it starts to finally hit the material where I left off.

Page 9 of 15 7891011