587,833 active members*
3,722 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to configure the output port to fire a laser

Hi all, I've been banging my head on this problem for a few weeks now and I can't figure out what the cause is. I've been using this simple script for the last three years with no issues when it suddenly stopped working.

Code:
    'turn output ON
    If GetDro(2) < -0.01 Then
    	ActivateSignal(OUTPUT4)	
    End If

'turn output OFF
    If GetDro(2) >= 0.0 Then
    	DeactivateSignal(OUTPUT4)	
    End If
    The laser had about 300 hours of usage so I thought it had finally died and I replaced that with no change. Then I thought the issue was the power supply, though I was an idiot and didn't use the test fire button before replacing it. That didn't fix it so I checked the wires and finally the usb board. I had a hunch the issue was with the output port on the board and switched the wire from port 3 to port 2 and played with ports and pins until it started working. I'm honestly not sure what all I did but it worked for a week and then stop again. I thought that maybe the board just shorted out completely and so I replaced that as well.

It's still not working and I can't for the life of me figure out how to configure the ports and pins to trigger the laser. Macropump is checked and output 4 is flashing in the diagnostic panel when Z is below -0.01 so I know that's working at least. I've reset the ports and pins to default and tried every combination I can think of with the wire on port 2, 3, and 4 with no luck.

Here is the current setup I have in mach3 and how the usb board is currently wired up as well. Any help would be appreciated and please try and keep it from being to technical. I can make mach3 do the basic job for me but I honestly have zero idea of how it works and have forgotten basically everything I learned from four years ago.

Re: How to configure the output port to fire a laser

Just quickly looking at your Port and Pin selection you have no pin selected for either Pin 3 or 4! You need to assign a Pin to them otherwise nothing will happen just as you've discovered. I cannot make out from your photo which Pin on the Bob is going to the Laser on/off but locate that and enter it inot the the setting of the Ports and Pins and it should work.

Re: How to configure the output port to fire a laser

Thank you! That did the trick. I updated the pin and it worked right away!