588,076 active members*
5,025 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > Granite Base Moving Gantry - Looking For Feedback

Hybrid View

Re: Granite Base Moving Gantry - Looking For Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    I was going to send you a photo of the enclosure that I use but then started looking at the size of your servo drives. Then I decided that it wouldn't be useful to compare a random case size to what you have to put in your box.

I would recommend the following:
    Make a complete parts list so you can keep track of everything.
    Make a schematic that includes everything, terminal blocks, breakers, switches, fans, grounding bars, wire guides, disconnects and relays.
    Make cardboard templates of all the parts going in your case and lay them out on a table and see how small you can get it.

You will find, as I have, that the case you choose will always be too small vs. what you want to do with it unless you plan it out ahead of time, including possible future additions.
    You're right - I was trying to take a bit of a shortcut, but your approach is the proper one. Thanks for the reality check

Just the fact that you mention relays - if I had bought one just now, I would have forgotten about whatever "peripherals" I'll probably want to add down the line.
    Some relays for air blast, coolant, perhaps coolant for the spindle, too though until I learn how to set all this up in the controller, I'd likely just turn the chiller on manually and keep it separate from the controller and cabinet. But yes, later one, it'd be great having it all integrated - which def means more space needed.
    Thanks again - will try to map it out a bit later. I like the cardboard idea, too

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to send you a photo of the enclosure that I use but then started looking at the size of your servo drives. Then I decided that it wouldn't be useful to compare a random case size to what you have to put in your box.

I would recommend the following:
    Make a complete parts list so you can keep track of everything.
    Make a schematic that includes everything, terminal blocks, breakers, switches, fans, grounding bars, wire guides, disconnects and relays.
    Make cardboard templates of all the parts going in your case and lay them out on a table and see how small you can get it.

You will find, as I have, that the case you choose will always be too small vs. what you want to do with it unless you plan it out ahead of time, including possible future additions.
    You're right - I was trying to take a bit of a shortcut, but your approach is the proper one. Thanks for the reality check

Just the fact that you mention relays - if I had bought one just now, I would have forgotten about whatever "peripherals" I'll probably want to add down the line.
    Some relays for air blast, coolant, perhaps coolant for the spindle, too though until I learn how to set all this up in the controller, I'd likely just turn the chiller on manually and keep it separate from the controller and cabinet. But yes, later one, it'd be great having it all integrated - which def means more space needed.
    Thanks again - will try to map it out a bit later. I like the cardboard idea, too

Here is a screenshot of my Lathe controller cabinet schematic. This is the AC wiring only. Others may do it differently but this works for me without getting too technical. You can use it as a template if you like.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/verti...-software.html

Here is a screenshot of my Lathe controller cabinet schematic. This is the AC wiring only. Others may do it differently but this works for me without getting too technical. You can use it as a template if you like.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/verti...-software.html

Thanks so much. Will look at in more detail in the days to come.

Also, you mentioning "lathe" had me take a peak at your conversion. Looks sleek!
    I do have a CNC mill in mind for down the road. Sadly, lost out on a great used base for one not long ago. Well, another will hopefully come along

I already know that that thing about how once you've built one machine, you will most likely build more will be true for me, too. So happy to finally have started this journey.