588,011 active members*
4,942 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Help can anyone recommend a motor and drive to replace this one with?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Help can anyone recommend a motor and drive to replace this one with?

All rite thanks for all your help Craig. Im going to start researching all these options you recommended and figure out which one to invest in. You sure know a lot about this whereas I'm just getting started. I'm actually going to school for advanced manufacturing and recently picked up a vertical mill that was bran new from 2007 in a storage unit auction. The spindle and drive has horrible limitations though of only having 5 speeds and can only be set manually from the front panel not accepting any S commands. When it finishes an operation or ready for a tool change I have to manually go turn it off and manually change speeds. Its really annoying so I'm having to completely change the drive and motor. Motor on it now is a BLDC and uses a hall sensor. The drive is even worse doesn't have a model number on it and isn't even in a case is bulky and has no documentation to be found anywhere. Anyways thanks. Ill keep you updated on what I pull the trigger on. Thanks

Hi,
    post some pics of the machine. If its a good machine and you paid next-to-nothing for it, then spending big to put a decent spindle motor on it is worthwhile.
    If however it is not particularly rigid, then to over spend on a spindle would be a poor choice.

Craig

Hi,
    this is about the cheapest 20A drive I can find:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/355406944264?itmmeta=01HYW55WJN98936Q9ZSXX1V1E6&ha sh=item52bfe79808:gQEAAOSwobxlsHlD&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwIgIbPUauRwac 3x3elSzYablSOVB4l9aSYUHNtkg32vG4cSSuNrcVKRaq6X13lD kLfpRkkPeid2nFr3Gh%2FttTAcaOg%2F5mmDGQw7Dp2SRdnrWd gyL0ahb49bgETtGQ6ye%2FYYboJbUDkewabudBy70hwCN%2B0x TZMwFuwn7ediD8RmQ%2Fc%2B5vpLEbn69F5g2WJFPfngujR3rv %2FWsd5vIm8iN%2BIDw%2BKe5ZyQw9tHpaaIcsRi6tm%2F7cVz ujmixVU4cUkvMGQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR77Jl4X3Yw

You'll know the current of the drive:
    2098 dsd-030 =30A
    2098 dsd-020 =20A
    2098 dsd-010 =10A
    2098 dsd-075 =7.5A
    2098 dsd-005 =5A

You'd want 20A at a minimum, 30A if you can find one. Need to be careful to, these servos have about half a dozen different encoders, for which some drives work and others do not. The entry level 8000 count/rev optical
    incremental encoder is HJ22A. While it is entry level it is perfectly adequate, my servo is equipped with one. So long as you don't douse and leave it swilling in coolant that is!

When matched with the $149 MPL A420 I listed earlier, that makes $450 for the pair. The price is certainly enticing. Is it worth the risk?

Craig

Hi,
    I just got this offer from EBay. Makes this servo about cheap enough to try, at $100USD including cables its bloody good value.

Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EBayOffer.jpg  

Hi Dave,
    looks like this servo Ebay listing sold yesterday.....was it you?

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2024 View Post
    Hi, can someone identify some things about this spindle motor and possible point me in the direction of finding one that I can replace it with? Im looking for both a motor and a drive mostly interested in either an AC servo or a BLDC servo something that can be powered on 120v-220v..

Theres a few other questions: Is this motor a Nema frame type of motor? Is it like a NEMA-42 or a NEMA-52 or how can I tell?

All I know is the shaft size is 14mm and 40mm long
    The bolt pattern is 70mm X 70mm

Can someone show me options for a motor with these same dimensions that is a servo type motor and can do 3000–5000RMP? Thanks

I did manage to find a motor that looked about the same but it had no information on it and is possibly wont have the correct torque and rpm
    i think you just need advance vfd, have function sensorless vector PM motor control

Hi,
    some years ago I bought a remanufactured 3kW Vickers AC servo from cicra 95. Its in perfect condition. Once I got it I realised that I could not find an affordable drive for it. It is equipped with an
    8 pole resolver rather than an encoder.

I tried powering it with a Sensorless Vector Control VFD and was very disappointed. Sure it worked and I had reasonable speed control. I was intending on using this thing as a spindle motor so velocity control
    would be adequate. The real disappointment was the lack of torque authority. Servos are renowned for their truly superb torque overload characteristic, and yet Sensoless Vector Control missed on that. As I say
    disappointed.

I decided to build my own servo drive, electronics is my thing. I had a lash-up working example about six years ago, and it was not too bad. This thing draws 48A per phase at peak overload.......so the power section of your drive
    needs to be spot on or it will never survive!!!! Since then I've sold my home, shifted, changed jobs, bought a business......and so on. Not only that but that's when I found the Allen Bradley servo and made a
    spindle with it (pictured above), and really the Vickers servo has sort of been redundant ever since.The servo drive project has been in abeyance for quite some time.

My advice to OP remains unchanged....use an AC servo and matching drive. I'm not suggesting Ti is wrong, but I am suggesting that the best probability of a good or even excellent result is with a servo and matching
    drive. You might achieve a decent result with say a sensorless vector drive, or a DC motor, or a PMSM motor or whatever, but the probability of a good or even excellent result is less. Its your money...and for you to decide
    how much risk you are comfortable with.......I myself am risk averse.

Craig

Hi,
    just as a by-the-way; you can now see why I recommend looking very closely at the availability of ALL the components of a servo system. I have personal experience of buying what I thought was a good
    solution only to be defeated by the inability of finding an affordable drive. The only saving grace is that I paid only $130USD ($240USD including shipping to New Zealand) for the servo. Had I paid $1000USD
    and not gotten a result I would have been very peeved!.

Craig

Page 2 of 2 12