588,018 active members*
8,507 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > 9x20 Lathe - longitudinal feed hard to disengage

9x20 Lathe - longitudinal feed hard to disengage

Hello All

I have a Hare and Forbes AL-51G lathe with is very similar to the 9x20 lathe. A while ago I dismantled my saddle and apron in order to fit a DRO. I gave all parts a good clean and then assembled it.

All seems to work well, but I have a problem in that the longitudinal feed lever is hard to disengage while taking a cut. The deeper the cut, the harder to disengage. The lever engages very easy. I have again dismantled that apron and had another good look over every thing and and gave it a good going over with lubrication, however the problem is still there.

This lathe is only a couple of years old and I have had it since new, but seldom used. Sadly I can't recall trying the longitudinal feed lever disengagement before I dismantled it :-(

Please find attached two pictures of the apron showing threading and longitudinal feed levers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Keith

Attachment 391346 Attachment 391348

Quote Originally Posted by KeithdG View Post
    Hello All

I have a Hare and Forbes AL-51G lathe with is very similar to the 9x20 lathe. A while ago I dismantled my saddle and apron in order to fit a DRO. I gave all parts a good clean and then assembled it.

All seems to work well, but I have a problem in that the longitudinal feed lever is hard to disengage while taking a cut. The deeper the cut, the harder to disengage. The lever engages very easy. I have again dismantled that apron and had another good look over every thing and and gave it a good going over with lubrication, however the problem is still there.

This lathe is only a couple of years old and I have had it since new, but seldom used. Sadly I can't recall trying the longitudinal feed lever disengagement before I dismantled it :-(

Please find attached two pictures of the apron showing threading and longitudinal feed levers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Keith

Attachment 391346 Attachment 391348
    Gday Keith, did you have any luck with fixing feeding problem, I have the same issue,hard to disengage feed with even the lightest of cuts
    Thanks Brad