588,074 active members*
5,103 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Need a simple to use replacement for bobcad

Need a simple to use replacement for bobcad

Hello all. My bobcd just died and I cant afford an updated version so I think, as they are too unscrupulous to list any prices, and the website does not go into detail as to their cheapest option. I just want basic cad with a built in post processor.

So, as in another post Im currently trying fusion. Its an overcomplicated mess for my old brain. Same with freecad. In bobcad I could select line segments, click the 3d button, and generate a basic mach3 code, in a matter of seconds, seriously, 3 or 4 clicks, and its done, with no stupid questions or error codes. I cannot get fusion or freecad to even generate any code at this point.

So, please tell me there is a simple, cheap cad suite with post processor

Re: Need a simple to use replacement for bobcad

Hi RC - How does software die? If you have a legal copy, then call BC and they will fix it for you? Peter

Actually, I think Im going back with bobcad. I just tried it, and the user interface is familiar sort of, as is the terminology, so I think thats what will get me running again. Ive tried other stuff, and unfortunately it comes down to interface and terminology. We got farther in the demo version today, than I have been able to get in either freecad or fusion. We also tried a bunch of other free and demo packages.
    Last edited by rccars4sal; 06-17-2024 at 05:36 AM.

Hi,
    there have been quite a few posts over the last few months where BoBCad users with an early version, and it must be said most of them are ten years old or older and BoBCad do not offer
    support for them any longer. 'Perpetual' means different things to different people I guess..

To OP, I did not at first like Fusion, my previous experience has been Mastercam, but over a period of time I've come to like it a great deal, and can generate good toolpaths
    with similar facility that you describe.

What went dead ? the software or the pc ?
    Bobcad support only goes back 5 versions , if you don't know your license keys then they'll have them on file and they will help you out . Otherwise if it's an older version then they can deactivate the old license as long as you know what the license code was , then you could re register on a fresh install .

It's been a while since I last upgraded but if they have you on the computer as a previous customer then they may give you a reasonably priced upgrade to the latest version . It's a matter of crying the blues , I have no money , thats too much , I'm only a hobby guy .............................. , you get the point . They can be relentless and we can be to . I know they changed hands a while back so their old ways may not be the same as what they were but it would be worth the try

I spoke too soon! I had found a reseller in EU offering the v36 for a strangely low price. So, I ordered it, and was refunded. They can only sell to EU. Then I tried calling several bobcad resellers in USA, and they were either no longer, or not answering. So, I called Bobcad sales, and was quoted about 5 times more than I expected. Anyway, my v21 is too old and they choose to not support it.

Know what really sucks? Apparently, v21 was one of the very last traditional side by side 2d cad systems. Anybody who preferes that type of CAD, rather than the 3d rendering style, is totally screwed. I prefer it because I could make lines, generate gcode, and edit as I pleased. These newer systems want the user to know ALL parameters before it will cooperate. Problem with that is the cam systems do not always agree with the operator and they will refuse to cooperate.

Super disappointed that such a simple thing as offering online registration for old versions is taken away.

have you looked at dolphin cam ? It takes a bit of getting used to but the price is decent and they have good support