588,531 active members*
9,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Uncategorised WoodWorking Machines > I Need Help Getting Started with a CNC Machine I Just Purchased

I Need Help Getting Started with a CNC Machine I Just Purchased

I just bought a small table-top CNC machine at an auction to use for hobbyist woodworking. My problem is that the machine has no manufacturers identification so I have no idea what kind of software to use to get started.

It has three AnChuan (Chinese I assume) 57HD0401-15SB 1.8* 3 OA N2001 motors. There is a (Mini-CNC Engraving Machines) T-D 3 Axis Controller with a USB and a parallel port.

My main questions are as follows:
    - What software can I use to control the machine?
    - Are there minimum hardware requirements for the computer I attach it to?
    - Will the software walk me through how to set up the machine properly? If not, are there recommended sources?

Thanks! Tom

Re: I Need Help Getting Started with a CNC Machine I Just Purchased

Hi,
    need to see a picture of the socket to which the PC plugs into the controller. I rather suspect it is a DB25 parallel port, in which case you'll use Mach3, but here's the tricky part
    you need to run a 32 bit Windows 7 or Windows XP PC, and it pretty much has to have a parallel port built in. You can add an extra parallel port, but only a few boards actually work.
    A USB-to-parallel converter WILL NOT work.

Take the cover off the controller and post some pics. I suspect the parallel port is the main control port and the USB is just to get a power supply from the PC.

Craig

There used to be lots of that type of machine on ebay or AliExpress and I believe most were supplied with the demo version of Mach 3.Which doesn't actually help you very much because you still have to calibrate the machine,regardless of software and if it does have a DB25 plug you will have to determine the pin assignments.It is possible to run the machine from LinuxCNC via a DB25 plug and again you need to sort out pin assignments and calibration,but you won't have the program length limitation of Mach3's demo version and it won't cost anything.Most people get nervous about leaving the Microsoft ecosystem,so you may not go that way.

I appreciate both of your help!

I have attached some pictures of the back and inside of the controller as requested.

If I understand correctly, essentially the controller is good for a boat anchor and that is about it. Is it possible to get a different controller to work with this machine? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks again!
    Tom

You might be able to use one of these motion-control adapters to run it off your computer's USB port: https://cnc4pc.com/uc100-usb-motion-controller.html It looks like you'll need the gender-changer as well. You'll still need to figure out the ports and pins.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Hi Tom - Look at Knighthawk from CNC3D. A one box solution that's very good. Plus the support is excellent. https://www.cnc3d.com.au/nighthawkcnc-controller Its a good 3 axis controller, has laser output and plasma control capabilities. My other suggestion if you want excellent motion control and 3D printing capability is Dynomotion see dynomotion.com it has a forum here. Peter