587,125 active members*
2,795 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Ordering Haas VF2-SS on West Coast
Page 2 of 2 12
    My tool supply house is pushing Ingersol(sp?) as she can get me a *good* pricing. Any feedback on Ingersol?

I am looking at the options for tool holders. Wondering what kind and how many. I've been at shops that have a gang of tool holders... but I'm starting up and would like to get a "start up" perspective on tooling requirements. What type of tool holder do you use and why?
    Thanks,
    TKBuisan
    You can figure three times the capacity of the machine. I have a LOT of ER32 and ER16 holders. I also have a bunch of regular EM holders. I use collets a lot. You will find that it's faster, easier, and cheaper to buy holders and keep tools kitted for a job than it is to tear things apart just to run that job next week again.
    I have two mills and have maybe 120 holders between them. aboiut 75 of them are ER holders, bunchg of regular EM holders, a coulle 1" wheel arbors. four drill chucks. You can never have too many.
    By the way. I got one heck of a deal from my account mgr at J&L on some Hertel holders. Just about 60% off retail. But I bought a lot.

One can never have too many holders. I also suggest the collet sets. The quantity is dependent on what you will be doing. I do not recommend using collets to hold end mills. The large mills will pull out and collets generally do not have very good TIR. We use collets for drilling, reaming, and tapping only but then again we need to hold +/-.002 on most parts. We never use mills in collets on mold work.

I buy Lyndex and Valenite holders. Valenite double angle collets.
    Jeff Lange
    Lightning Tool & Manufacturing, Inc.

I have several GS holders and they work great. I use them for all of my reamers. Very good quality!!! Have fun with the machine. I have a VF3-SS and would suggest getting the 80 Gal. coolant sump if you plan on having long cycle times.

Haas recomends any RPM over 10k you use a balanced tool holder i got a HPi from my salesman. i have not priced them yet but the web sit is www.hpiamerica.com, just keep that in mind for the high RPMs
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

I would take the xtra memory with the high speed look ahead. That is a good call.

Page 2 of 2 12