587,091 active members*
3,222 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Upping the capability of a 5804 IC
Page 1 of 3 123

Upping the capability of a 5804 IC

I have a driver board made up using a 5804 that I am experimenting with.

The IC can drive 1.25 amps on it's own but I have found anymore than 1 amp it gets fairly hot.

I was going to add power transistors or fets to the outputs so I could drive larger steppers, anybody got any views on this ?

Re: Upping the capability of a 5804 IC

Originally posted by xairflyer
    I have a driver board made up using a 5804 that I am experimenting with.

The IC can drive 1.25 amps on it's own but I have found anymore than 1 amp it gets fairly hot.

I was going to add power transistors or fets to the outputs so I could drive larger steppers, anybody got any views on this ?
    Hello,

Piece of cake. Done all the time with the 5804; it's even on the datasheeet. LOTS of mfrs. use the 5804 for it's translator, and up the drive capability with external drivers...

Hope this helps,

Ballendo

I looked at the data sheet and see the "typical output driver" circuit but could not figure this out as the outputs will be low/negative and it shows an npn transistor, I would have thought you would need to be switching a pnp transistor.

Xair,

Go to www.cnconabudget.com Cursor down the page awhile to the "freebies" section.

There is some GOOD info there on how to use a 5804 with external transistors...

Hope this helps,

Ballendo

Question

Ballendo,

I looked at your recommended site un der the freebies section.
    But beeing a total newbie in electronics I don't understand his explanation.

I first wanted to use e schematic that only uses TIP120 transistors, but then only little software can be used, because I use 4 channels per stepper. (most software only pulse and direction)
    Now I am also thinking of using the UCN5804 for translation in combination maybe with TIP120....But HOW to connect those???

pls help

xairflyer, hawee, you need something like this, only replace TIP110 for TIP120 or 121 for 5A, or other for more amps. do not forget diodes.

hope it helps.
    /U

PS: the 7404 buffers the output (not really neccesary) but also cleans the signal, so maintaining it maybe is a good idea..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trn+diodes.gif  

Thanks Urgundiz,

I was also figuring out something like this today, but then using TIP125 (PNP instead NPN transistor)...

The part before the UCN5804 I want to use the schematic of
    http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/pc/008/

3 axis controller with home switches and limit switch.

Do you think it would be a good idea to use thin in combination with your part?

The schematic you say sink current to the 5804 (from the diodes direction) and has good info about how to hook to the LPT port.

It seems it will work if you tie the base of the Tip125 to where the diodes are. Put diodes between emitter and colector of the tip125. Better if fast diodes, for example BYV27 ones. Do not forget your ballast resistors betweeen V and stepper winding and the other stuff. The sequence will be, in essence: V, Rballast, Stepper winding, TRN Emitter, TRN Collector, Ground.

Sorry but my Eagle soft just blowed so i can't attach a schematic.

Hope it helps
    /U

PS: Sorry for my bad english.. is 'blowed' or 'blown'?

I think you need some pullup resistors on the inverter inputs
    maybe...

Hello,

If you're going to use the 5804 by itself, don't use the series diodes as shwon in the link above. Instead use diodes which shunt to ground, as shown in the 5804 data sheet...

This means you have four diodes, all connected to ground at their "banded" ends, with the "other" end of each to one of the 4 5804 outputs. Your motors will turn faster this way...

Next, if you're using a buffer, use a 7414, which has a schmitt output. This will clean up the 5804 pulses before you send 'em to the tip120's, or fets (Irfl44z or equiv work well).

Hope this helps,

Ballendo

OOPS!

Here's a correction!

Originally posted by ballendo
    [This means you have four diodes, all connected to ground at their UNMARKED ends, with the "BANDED" end of each to one of the four 5804 outputs. Your motors will turn faster this way...

Ballendo [/B]

Also, here's the url for the 5804 datasheet:

http://www.allegromicro.com/sf/5804/

And a bit more...

Using 1n400X diodes will also slow you down. These "rectifier" type diodes are not fast. 1n4934 or 1n4936, or MR851's are MUCH better. And if you use fets, you won't need output diodes at all due to the intrinsic diode you get "free" with a fet. (Just use a fet with a high amp rating, at least double your motor voltage. Like the ones I posted.)

Ballendo

still more?!?!?

Yes, use pullups on the input to the 7414. Paul uses 2.2K.

Hawee, Paul has a circuit board of this in his freebies section! You don;t have to understand it, just need to know where to put the parts

And he tells you that!

Ballendo

P.S. You could use perf board and just "wire it" from the bottom using pauls layout if pcb's aren't your cup of tea...

Lightbulb

Ballendo,

After having some contact with Paul Jones I got a schematic drawing where i can see were to put the wires.
    The drawing was only untill the TIP120.....the rest above the TIP is drawn by me (just on paper...don't know what programm to use yet...!!) but I used the layout also from Paul jones freebies.

Do you guys think this is complete? Nothing to add?
    R2 is added also by Paul Jones, but I don't know exactly how to calculate this one....for the Power Limit Resistor I got the programm stepCalc (also from Paul..thanks a lot Paul!!!).

can I start building like this???? or something else to improve??

Btw. i opened a new thread on help for the SLA7052M, this IC I think works the same as the 5804, but has a lot more stuff build inside, and can handle 3A...why doesn't anyone use this one??
    How to connect this one...do I have to add something to it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5804.jpg  

does the circuit wiring above works? Which program is work for it?

It works. See http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...6726#post26726 for my schematic with mosfets. I've tested with 5A steppers from an AT PSU and Master5 with no problem, but you can use any step/dir capable program.

hope it helps
    /U

PS: I've detected an errata at the schematic, be sure to read it, I will post a correction as soon as possible.

PS2: Corrected.

Originally posted by HaWee
    Ballendo,

After having some contact with Paul Jones I got a schematic drawing where i can see were to put the wires.
    The drawing was only untill the TIP120.....the rest above the TIP is drawn by me (just on paper...don't know what programm to use yet...!!) but I used the layout also from Paul jones freebies.

Do you guys think this is complete? Nothing to add?
    R2 is added also by Paul Jones, but I don't know exactly how to calculate this one....for the Power Limit Resistor I got the programm stepCalc (also from Paul..thanks a lot Paul!!!).

can I start building like this???? or something else to improve??

Btw. i opened a new thread on help for the SLA7052M, this IC I think works the same as the 5804, but has a lot more stuff build inside, and can handle 3A...why doesn't anyone use this one??
    How to connect this one...do I have to add something to it?
    Just FYI,
    If you used Steppercalc, in theis configuration you need to select "one resistor" as an option as well as "transistors" for the output option. You can also put one resistor on each motor winding (two per motor), which results in lower wattage resistors. Sometimes the high wattage resistors are more money or harder to find.

Eric

BTW, I am the author of Steppercalc.
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

where or who sells the 7417 ic?

hmmmm not that common anymore
    google says:

http://www.gatewayelex.com/7400.htm
    maybe...

Hi All,

I just finished the first part of my DIY router....the electical part.
    Thanks to all of you who helped me ang gave me hints and tips to design my own PCB.

I didn't hook it up to the steppers yet, but I will do this this weekend....I hope it doesn't start to smoke!!

I used the 5804 and via the 74HC14 it switches the TIP122 transistor, so I think the capability is more then enough....

It looks impressive to me...I hope it performs as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 124-2488_img.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123