Hi Everyone,
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but...

How much room should I allocate for my hobby machine shop? Let me clarify. I'm in the planning stages for a shop for working on my cars (too many to count!), but I want to allocate a decent amount of room for my hobby machining room (2 mini mills, lathe, welding equipment, woodworking tools, small casting furnace, and materials). Nothing too big. However, cars will take up a lot of space, and I don't want to shortchange their space, either. The cars will be in the building for security and protection.

The overall building pad will be 50x100, and the walls made out of cinder blocks, and hopefully with a clear span without support beams in the middle. Too bad metal buildings have gotten so expensive. I was thinking of something like 50x15 for the machine shop, because it will surely grow in the future. Of the people who have a smoothly functioning machine shop for 1 or 2 people, who has a good recommendation on size? None of the tools will be used all of the time, but it would be nice not to have to move tools around for every unique cut or weld that needs to be made. I guess it is a question of efficiency.

One other question: What are the "must haves" and the "nice to haves" for my new machining room? I plan on having a 200A meter put in, as well as a lot of lighting and power plugs all over the place. Is there anything else that I really must have at first? I'm sure ventilation is a high priority, as well as the necessary safety equipment and sound insulation. Anything else I should shoot for that will make life much easier?

Thanks for any opinions, and thanks for reading my lengthy questions. I just wanted to get some experienced opinions, because this building is going to cost a pretty penny. I just want to get it right the first time!

Billy