587,638 active members*
4,117 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > High Speed Spindle for Taig - Brushless Motor?

Hybrid View

Be careful. The program doesn't say but I think the calculated power requirement is at the tool, not the input. How would the program know your spindle drive efficiency.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by GammaWill View Post
    Phil - Thanks! I see! 1W of power is consumed when cutting 1/64" deep at 12.5 IPM

Most of the hobby-type brushless motors seem to be able to produce 100W easily. This cheap 3800 KV motor & ESC looks about right, and the motor case doubles as a heat sink (no carbon fiber shell on this one):

http://cgi.ebay.com/3800KV-Brushless...QQcmdZViewItem

Brief Specs:
    Motor RPM/KV: 3800
    Motor Max Watts: 250W
    Motor Max Continous Current: 8-10A
    ESC Minimum Voltage: 4.8V
    ESC Max Voltage: 14.4V

So, driving it at 5V (and at 100% "throttle") will give me 19K RPM.

From the numbers above, at 5V the motor could generate a MAX of ~30W of power. So, each 1W consumed at 5V would require 200mA current.

I will only need 1W, so I suspect that that running virtually "unloaded" (the cutter will not be pulling many amps @ 12IPM, and 1/64" deep passes), and even with losses through the coupling system (misalignment, friction, heat, etc.) I would be drawing WELL under 1A @ 5V, with 250mA probably being typical for my application.

How's my math, guys? Did I goof up any where?

---Will

Will did you see this thead. Probably worth a look.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23097

An Aussie builder put one of those same spindles (I think) on a machine with the same sort of motor as you are looking at.

Greg

The little brushless motors for RC cars do lose bearings pretty quick. They are rebuildable and all, but a couple of hundred watts out of a couple ounce motor and something has to give. They are designed for maximum power out of a very small and light package, not longevity. Many of them require rebuilding every 10 hours of run time or less.
    If you want a brushless DC motor, with speed controller built in no less, that will handle high side loadings and long runs, try something a bit larger. Those annoying little electric scooters, and electric bicycles as well, have 250W-400W brushless DC motors that have bearings that can handle a LOT of abuse. A PWM speed control board is integrated into the motor housing on many models. Nice bonus is that they often have a brake circuit on the motor as well. (useful for e-stop!)
    You can get them brand new uninstalled >very< cheap off of EBAY as the fad is over for scooters. $20-40 bucks will get you a very nice motor.
    They are light, but are still 4"-5" in diameter instead of 1", but no worries about overheating or bearing life....