I work in a start up with people of all backgounds. Many of my coworkers are MIT Phds. I have noticed that a Mech. Eng degree offers a lot of flexability as compared to other majors.

I don't want to sound negative, but I don't think that you will be doing metal work in the dorms.

As far as a major, in the first 2 to 3 years, you will be studying things completely unrelated to machining.

in your junior year, you might be able to get into the projects such as the mini baja projects that many schools compete in as well as robotics comeptions where you desing and build the components. This may be where your interest will work for you.

I think that a mechanical engineer who can desing and build will have good oppertunites in the world. Unfortuantley to use those skills may mean that you will be working in small companies or start ups like myself. Larger compaines will tend to limit the scope of any job.

I think all those schools you mentioned are great. My boss the CTO graduated UCSD in Chem Eng. and went to MIT to get a Phd. he is one of the smartest Sh**s I know.

The only advantage to Michigan might be that they would seem to be a more rollup your sleeves and get busy type of program which may be more to your liking.

Overall I would say Berkley will open a lot of doors in life and if you do well and continue beyond a bachelor's, Berkely will help if you want to teach. (at the collegeiate level).

Other than that the choice is yours. Also look in to who will offer the best financial package. Some of the other schools may ante up if they know you have such excellent options.

Congrats I wish I had such a buffet of options and choices at that point in my life.