587,442 active members*
3,353 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Homann Mod-IO w/ Digispeed XL and SJ-200 VFD (Hitachi)

Homann Mod-IO w/ Digispeed XL and SJ-200 VFD (Hitachi)

Hi All,

Sorry if this is a bit specific for the general Electrical forum, but I don't see a more specific location unless it would be under VFD's. Anyway, here it is:

I have a Digispeed-XL connected to a Mod-IO board and a Hitachi SJ200-22 VFD running on Mach3 V2.065. I installed a DPST switch to toggle the Digispeed between Manual and Auto, and have a 5K pot on J4 for manual speed adjustment. In manual mode I'm able to control the VFD just fine. Pretty cool actually.

However, when in Auto mode, I am unable to get the Digispeed to work as desired. Turning on the Spindle causes the Zero Speed relay to change and the Control Voltage indicator LED to change (bright red--never varies execpt to turn off) while the Mode LED changes from Solid Red to Fast Blink Red. I'm unable to cause the Lazy double red blink (the condition for Digispeed Enabled but PWM set to zero RPM) unless I disconnect the PWM signal from the cable connecting Mod-IO to Digispeed. Zero RPM on spindle still causes a fast blink. On the possibility that the PWM signal was flipped (Hi for zero and vice-versa), I have set the RPM to 8000, but that did not change anything either. I've also played with the jumper on JP13 but saw no difference (power off on each change so Mod-IO and Disgispeed reset). The jumper remains off the board at thsi time (as I'm unable to determine which position causes what).

Here are my settings on Mod-IO:
    Dout2 -- not connected to Digispeed as direction not needed for now.
    Dout3 -- Configured to Output #1 As Port = 0, Pin = 3, Active Low
    Dout4 -- Ports & Pins, Motor/Spindle set in Motor Outputs, Port = 0 , step (PWM) Pin = 4, Active Low

In Mach3 the following settings are in place:
    In Ports & Pins, Spindle Setup tab/Relay Disable Spindle Relays box is unchecked, and Output is # 1 in both CW & CCW.
    Motor Control Use Spindle Motor Output and PWM are both Checked, PWMBase Freq = 50, Min = 0%.
    I have tried Modbus Spindle - Use Step/Dir as well both Checked and Unchecked. Currently Unchecked (unclear on the correct setting as I have seen both used in documentation)

I have another issue that may be related: The VFD has a nominal 10V 10mA reference voltage "H" (actually 10.57V) that I have running into P1 on J5 on the Disgispeed, P3 is connected to "L" on VFD and P2 is the control voltage "O" going to the VFD. I played with this a bit to find this connection configuration (my initial setting had it working opposite of desired). What is happening is that the Reference "H" 10 Volts is being pulled down to 1 volt (exactly) when in Auto mode, but in manual mode it works fine (Voltage stays at nominal 10V). Intuitively it would seem that the 10mA is insufficient, but that is just a guess on my part.

My questions are:
    Why won't my PWM signal allow a zero-speed?
    Why is my VFD Ref voltage is being pulled down???

Sorry for the lack of brevity... I was thinking that more info may help.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks for your time and attention!!

David

Hi David,

Did you get my reply to your email on this subject?

You have a couple of issues to work though. They need to be solved separately.

First off, the connection between the VFD and the DigiSpeed-XL J5 connector. The terminals on the connector are;

J5-1 (V-) this needs to be connected to your VFD 0V terminal "L"
    J5-2 (Vc) this needs to be connected to your VFD control terminal "O"
    J5-3 (V+) this needs to be connected to your VFD +10V terminal "H"

You can check the pin labels by removing the pluggable connector to reveal the labels.

From what you have said below you have P1 and P3 the wrong way around. The DigiSpeed draws less than 5mA from the supply so it will work.

Also, Until you get things working replace LED D4 (manual mode LED) with a jumper, as it would have been when shipped.

When you swap the 2 outer wires on J5, you will also need to do the same to the wires on J4 as well. If not the manual speed pot will work backwards.

Now test that the VFD works in manual mode. If so, you can replace the jumper with the Manual mode LED. Check that it still works. If not, swap the leads on the Led.

Now, put the switch into the auto position. Measure the +10V from the VFD, is it still 10V?

Let me know how you go with that. Then well tackle the DigiSpeed to ModIO problem.

BTW, what version DigiSpeed-XL board do you have?

Cheers,

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by haysys View Post
    Hi All,

Sorry if this is a bit specific for the general Electrical forum, but I don't see a more specific location unless it would be under VFD's. Anyway, here it is:

I have a Digispeed-XL connected to a Mod-IO board and a Hitachi SJ200-22 VFD running on Mach3 V2.065. I installed a DPST switch to toggle the Digispeed between Manual and Auto, and have a 5K pot on J4 for manual speed adjustment. In manual mode I'm able to control the VFD just fine. Pretty cool actually.

However, when in Auto mode, I am unable to get the Digispeed to work as desired. Turning on the Spindle causes the Zero Speed relay to change and the Control Voltage indicator LED to change (bright red--never varies execpt to turn off) while the Mode LED changes from Solid Red to Fast Blink Red. I'm unable to cause the Lazy double red blink (the condition for Digispeed Enabled but PWM set to zero RPM) unless I disconnect the PWM signal from the cable connecting Mod-IO to Digispeed. Zero RPM on spindle still causes a fast blink. On the possibility that the PWM signal was flipped (Hi for zero and vice-versa), I have set the RPM to 8000, but that did not change anything either. I've also played with the jumper on JP13 but saw no difference (power off on each change so Mod-IO and Disgispeed reset). The jumper remains off the board at thsi time (as I'm unable to determine which position causes what).

Here are my settings on Mod-IO:
    Dout2 -- not connected to Digispeed as direction not needed for now.
    Dout3 -- Configured to Output #1 As Port = 0, Pin = 3, Active Low
    Dout4 -- Ports & Pins, Motor/Spindle set in Motor Outputs, Port = 0 , step (PWM) Pin = 4, Active Low

In Mach3 the following settings are in place:
    In Ports & Pins, Spindle Setup tab/Relay Disable Spindle Relays box is unchecked, and Output is # 1 in both CW & CCW.
    Motor Control Use Spindle Motor Output and PWM are both Checked, PWMBase Freq = 50, Min = 0%.
    I have tried Modbus Spindle - Use Step/Dir as well both Checked and Unchecked. Currently Unchecked (unclear on the correct setting as I have seen both used in documentation)

I have another issue that may be related: The VFD has a nominal 10V 10mA reference voltage "H" (actually 10.57V) that I have running into P1 on J5 on the Disgispeed, P3 is connected to "L" on VFD and P2 is the control voltage "O" going to the VFD. I played with this a bit to find this connection configuration (my initial setting had it working opposite of desired). What is happening is that the Reference "H" 10 Volts is being pulled down to 1 volt (exactly) when in Auto mode, but in manual mode it works fine (Voltage stays at nominal 10V). Intuitively it would seem that the 10mA is insufficient, but that is just a guess on my part.

My questions are:
    Why won't my PWM signal allow a zero-speed?
    Why is my VFD Ref voltage is being pulled down???

Sorry for the lack of brevity... I was thinking that more info may help.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks for your time and attention!!

David
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Hi Peter,

Since we're having problems with email, I'll use the forum for the update. Maybe others can benefit too.

I have put the connections back to my original configuration as you have directed, and the manual operation works just fine. Going to manual mode causes the D4 LED to light as desired. And I have a full 10 volts across J5-1 & J5-3 in Auto mode.

However in Auto mode, if I perform a M03, the zero-speed relay switches and the spindle accelerates up to the high end and stays here no matter what Sxxxx value I enter; S0 or S8000 or anywhere in between has the spindle turning full-tilt-boogie (this condition was what initially led me to reversing my J4 & J5 connections). M05 turns it off no problem, and the zero-speed relay switches back at that point.

There is one other minor point (I can correct for this in the VFD if need be) that may be of note: In manual mode at max spindle speed, the voltage out of J5-1 & J5-2 maxes out at 9 volts with VR1 turned to the full clockwise position. Backing VR1 off reduces the max voltage further.

The Digispeed XL version is 5.0.

That's my report for now. I'm ready to take on the installment. Thanks for your patience!!

David

Hi David,

Looking at VR1 first. ITs purpose is to reduce the maximum speed of the spindle when under manual control. This allows you to tune it to match the maximum speed when under DigiSpeed contro, which will always be slightly less.

Now to the MOdIO to DigiSpeed interface. You can test that the DigiSpeed is being controlled correctly bythe ModIO via the output Leds on the MOdIO and the status Leds of the DigiSpeed. This can be done on the bench before the DigiSpeed is connected to the VFD.

First of all you need to connect to the DigiSpeed from the white 6 pin connector J15. Do not use the screw terminals as these are open collector connections.

Also, you need to enable the DigiSpeed software module in the ModIO. You do that via the Mach3 ModIO config dialog screen, accessed under the Modbus config screen. When you enable the DigiSpeed module, ModIO outputs D3 and D4 will be on. This is because the DigiSpeed uses negative logic.

Section 4.6 of the ModIO manual shows the spindle config setup required by Mach3 to work with the Digispeed through the ModIO.

http://www.homanndesigns.com/ModIO_User092.pdf

Does your setup match that of the manual?

If so you should be able to enable the Spindle under Mach3 and you should see the D3 LED go out. Then if you set a spindle speed, to say 50% of the maximum speed you should see Dout 4 start to flash.

Does this happen?

CHeers,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Since we're having problems with email, I'll use the forum for the update. Maybe others can benefit too.

I have put the connections back to my original configuration as you have directed, and the manual operation works just fine. Going to manual mode causes the D4 LED to light as desired. And I have a full 10 volts across J5-1 & J5-3 in Auto mode.

However in Auto mode, if I perform a M03, the zero-speed relay switches and the spindle accelerates up to the high end and stays here no matter what Sxxxx value I enter; S0 or S8000 or anywhere in between has the spindle turning full-tilt-boogie (this condition was what initially led me to reversing my J4 & J5 connections). M05 turns it off no problem, and the zero-speed relay switches back at that point.

There is one other minor point (I can correct for this in the VFD if need be) that may be of note: In manual mode at max spindle speed, the voltage out of J5-1 & J5-2 maxes out at 9 volts with VR1 turned to the full clockwise position. Backing VR1 off reduces the max voltage further.

The Digispeed XL version is 5.0.

That's my report for now. I'm ready to take on the installment. Thanks for your patience!!

David

Hi Peter,

Yeah, I grokked the purpose of VR1, I simply was noting the less-than-full 10volts.

Connection from the ModIO is from J15 to J3 on the Digispeed. J15-1 = J3-2 (GND), J15-2 = J3-1 (PWM), J15-3 = J3-4 (Enable), and J15-6 = J3-5 (+5V). Index and Direction are not connected for now.

As for the ModIO and Digispeed setup and without the VFD connected, Dout3 does light but Dout4 does not. Dropping back to basics as described by you, (five screen captures that show my Mach3 setup) I have doublechecked my settings and connections. All is as defined by the V.92 section 4.6.

When the Spindle is enabled, Dout3 LED goes out, but Dout4 never lights or flashes at any variation of spindle state or speed. If I set say Output2 to Port 0 and Pin 4, I can force the light on, so the Dout4 pin appears to be capable of being activated.

I am confused by the Mod-IO v.92 Section 4.6 compared to the Digispeed XL manual V0.2 Section 5.2.5. Several settings are in contrast (PWM control, PWM base freq, Modbus Spindle-Use step/dir as well), so I have played with changing these but not from any knowledgeable standing, and certainly made no difference.

So that's where I am.

Thanks again,

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Configure MODIO Device.png   Modbus Status & Control.png   Ports&Pins-Motor Outputs.png   Ports&Pins-Output Signals.png  

Ports&Pins-Spindle Setup.png  

Hi David,

A couple of points. The Mach to ModIO Digispeed interface does not require negative logic, so;

1. On the motor outputs tab, you need to uncheck the lowActive check
    boxes as the ModIO does not require this.
    2. On the motor outputs tab, the spindle direction pin should be 2 not 1
    3. On the output signals tab, uncheck the lowActive for the OUtput#1
    signal.

Also, keep in mind that the interface between Mach3 and the ModIO requires Mach to be setup for step/dir control, not PWM control. This is the way Mach3 requires it. What is happening is that Mach3 is sending the spindle speed to the ModIO as an integer between 0 and 16380. The ModIO then converts this to a PWM signal.

Cheers,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yeah, I grokked the purpose of VR1, I simply was noting the less-than-full 10volts.

Connection from the ModIO is from J15 to J3 on the Digispeed. J15-1 = J3-2 (GND), J15-2 = J3-1 (PWM), J15-3 = J3-4 (Enable), and J15-6 = J3-5 (+5V). Index and Direction are not connected for now.

As for the ModIO and Digispeed setup and without the VFD connected, Dout3 does light but Dout4 does not. Dropping back to basics as described by you, (five screen captures that show my Mach3 setup) I have doublechecked my settings and connections. All is as defined by the V.92 section 4.6.

When the Spindle is enabled, Dout3 LED goes out, but Dout4 never lights or flashes at any variation of spindle state or speed. If I set say Output2 to Port 0 and Pin 4, I can force the light on, so the Dout4 pin appears to be capable of being activated.

I am confused by the Mod-IO v.92 Section 4.6 compared to the Digispeed XL manual V0.2 Section 5.2.5. Several settings are in contrast (PWM control, PWM base freq, Modbus Spindle-Use step/dir as well), so I have played with changing these but not from any knowledgeable standing, and certainly made no difference.

So that's where I am.

Thanks again,

David