587,704 active members*
3,669 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Composites, Exotic Metals etc > Wet Cutting Solutions for Composites G10 /Carbon Plate

Hybrid View

Unless you are using a totally enclosed fan cooled motor......you had better keep the water away from the "electric" motor! Now on the other had there are servo motors that are designed to run in a wet environment that you might could use as your spindle motor. As far as holding the f/g under the water you will need to build a fixture to elevate the f/g off the bottom of the pool and use something else to to keep it weighted down.

Why don't you just use a good dust collection system? People cut these materials every day with a collection system. There are several type of filters that will trap down in the micron sizes.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

To my knowledge there is no vac system that will remove harmful dust particles, even at the micron level, there is no garantee that the dust will not get airborne somehow, part finish is greatly improved by cutting wet.

I figured out a way to make the pool and support the material under coolant, I am sure someone out there must have built something similar for the same application, but at the moment mine it is experimental and I have to build a much bigger pool container. I am thinking Water Jet machines must work under the same principles since they use water and must use a pool bed for it.

Unfortunately, I cannot run a tub under the machine, like most industrial high speed CNC centers use, because my CNC Router is not designed to be under coolant spray constanly. The pool bed seems more desireable, I built a small pool from a piece of cutting board plastic material I found at a dollar store , it is 1/2" thick and it is about 12"x16" , so I let the router machine a pocket 1/4" deep, enough to place a small sheet of G10 under it, with 4 small screws at the corners for support of this pool frame to the table sacrificial board, and 4 other smaller screws to support the material inside the pool bed, filled it with coolant, I also made a baffle for the Router motor so there is no water to motor splash or air form the motor fan spitting up the coolant. The motor's fan exhaust air hits the baffle and spreads the air horizontally instead of vertically, now. If I get a bit more elanborate, I could make a different baffle to have the air spill up on the side of the router motor, or simply replace the direct router motor with a waterproof spindle. Maybe later on.

Now I am going to build the bigger bed for this router.

I also have to think about how to filter the mud residue so that I can trap the mud in a bucket and recycle the coolant. Maybe build a series of mesh filters so that it works by gravity, since my roture sits up high I will need to pump the recycled coolant flow up and over the material inside the pool, so there is also constant movement of residue and this is not laying on the pool as the parts are being cut. Also the pool idea is more desireable from a perspective that I can still use the router multipurpose. Remove the pool when I want to use the router for other work.

Are there any specific pumps that might work for this application? Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.