588,098 active members*
4,762 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 10 12345
    What precision level are those bearings rated at? I'm just curious as to what sort of accuracy you are shooting for.
    -John
    http://www.engineeringhobbyist.com

Quote Originally Posted by JH-Q View Post

Any ideas what kind of cover i need to prevent coolant from getting to spindle bearings and still allowing rotation?

I think that a "labyrint" (as it is called in the Netherlands) will do just that..
    if you have a "collar on the spindle, any coolant will be swept off, when you put a ring around it, any fluid will just flow to the bottom, and back into the machine

nice job so far. im interested in how you make your spindle, especially how you keep it oriented properly in relation to the axes.

Wow!
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Any Progress??
    On the other hand, You have different fingers.

Yes, i have done a bit of work on it. The spindle is now almost ready and the main frame for the lathe will be welded this week. Also i ordered a ballscrew for Z-axis, it is 31mm in diameter, got 5mm pitch and is 600mm long.

Beautiful! I love your lathe!

The frame is now welded and looks really good!
    The welding was done by my former classmate, who is a talented welder. I asked him to do it as my welds aren't that good.

Fantastic job!

JH-Q,

Impressive job you have done there!

I'll be watching this thread!

Regards

Sandi

Z-axis ballscrew is here!

Diameter: 31mm
    Pitch: 5mm
    Lenght: 600mm
    Cost: ~120€ including shipping and customs (85$ buy-it-now bargain)

The screw looks precicion ground and moves incredibly smoothly. Also i didn't notice any backslash on the ballnut.

Ball Screw

JH-Q,

Where did you order that ball screw from? ebay?

Regards

Sandi

nice ballscrew

wow i am now going to be fallowing u as well

So did you mention what the spec on the spindle bearings was? And ...o..yea... great job!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sposl View Post
    JH-Q,

Where did you order that ball screw from? ebay?

Regards

Sandi
    HI JH-Q , i second that question , " Where did you order that ball screw from? "

do you have a website that has a direct link to the supplier ?

nice work JH-Q , very impressive , the way the CNC_lathe is progressing , you will just up the workmanship stand by 1000% , makes it very hard for us old timers

cheers

The ballscrew was bought from ebay, i waited almost half a year waiting for suitable one come up for sale.

Spindle bearings are some chinese brand, but they claim to handle 4300rpm with grease and 5000+ with oil lubrication. I'm going to set the mechanical max. spindle speed to 3200-3300rpm and electronically limit it to 3000rpm. I didn't find any accuracy datasheets but i hope they are accurate enough.

The frame is now machined, i still have to do some burr removal and tapping on it, and then i will post some pics of it

Best low budget cnc-projekt I have seen!
    Everyday I´m looking if there is somthing new.

Here is the updated cad-drawing.

The movements are now decided, X axis will be around 75mm (150mm in diameter) and Z around 300mm.

Great project.

Have you encorporated the coolant system, and coolant/swarf drain flows into the design?

Do'nt forget the enclosure design. I found that the enclosure was one of the biggest advantages of CNC'ing my listtle lathe at home.
    Regards,
    Mark

Do you have an estimate of what it will end up weighing? Looks like a lot of steel
    Regards,
    Mark

Page 3 of 10 12345