587,744 active members*
2,675 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

AL-11 on Fanuc OM

Some strange things have been happening with my old Dahlih VMC. Occasionally I would get a 424 - X axis not ready in combination with a 404 Vrdy off or a Spindle alarm 1010 (AL-11 on LCD on spindle drive) and all I would do is turn off power and restart and the problem would go away for days / months. However it is now popping 1010, or 424/404 every 2 minutes. I have discovered that there is a "current limiting reactor" that passes power to all the boards and this thing emits a sporatic clicking / hissing sound when I encounter the alarms, when its quiet the machine runs, when I start to hear the high pitched hissing and clicking I know 1010 or 424/404 is eminent and that the machine will shut down. Does any one have experience with these "reactors"? I've found out that they are a safety device that limits current in case of a short downstream. I think this thing is junk and is limiting current when its not supposed to hence the alarms. Any insight to these problems would be greatly appriciated and also if I am on the right path with the reactor.
    Thanks, Maxvic

I would suspect the hissing you hear is the reactor passing high current due to a fault and is the symptom not the cause.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks Al, any idea as to what would cause such erratic error messages? I can get the thing to jog all axis and run the spindle but then either a spindle alarm or servo alarm comes up - what is common between the two boards that could cause such problems?
    Thanks,
    Maxvic

Are the lugs for the bus bars on the drives tight? I've seen loose screws on the dc bus bars give funky current faults, I'll be it not with a hissing sound. Makes me think of snapping turtles.
    It's not what you cut...It's what you don't cut.

I've checked just about every terminal I can reach and so far nothing has been obviously loose but I'll re check and yes, hissing snapping turtles is exactly what it sounds like!

Hi ! i have same problems with some Dahli machine that i have purchased in second hand from german company and bring it to tehran ! same problems and same noisy before the Error comes up ! sorry may be i cant good explaine something like that but with 2 thing everythings Gone ! ONE ...using Voltage Stablizer unit to made constant voltage comming to machine and servo and control system and TWO ... checking and calibrated the machine with QC10 renishaw .... so i thinks its better that you check and sure the voltage of 3 phase that comming to your shop is good and constant ...then please check the Geometry of machine and if it necessory recalibrated the machine ....thats my experience but i dont know what exactly related to something like that but happen before ...

Hi Maxvic,
    Is there a transformer between the reactor and the main disconnect?
    Look for any 1's in Diag 720 thru 727, they reveal:
    bit#6(LV): Low voltage alarm
    bit#5(OVC): Over current alarm
    bit#4(HCA): Abnormal current alarm
    bit#3(HVA): Over current alarm
    bit#2(DCA): Discharge alarm
    bit#1(FBA): Disconnection alarm
    bit#0(OFA): Overflow alarm
    Seems 720 is X axis 721 is Y axis, and so on
    My book says (AL-11) Alarm No. 11 on the spindle drive:
    Overvoltage of DC link circuit.

or 721 is X axis and 722 is Y axis and so on (not sure, my book reads a little flaky)

Found the problem!! There was a dead short in the Amphenol connector on the X axis servo motor, if you could have seen the condition inside the connector shell no one would have believed that the thing ran as long as it did. I am going to check the condition inside the shell connectors for the encoder and y axis motor / encoder as well - Don't disregard the connectors not matter what they look like on the outside, this thing looked like new on the outside and was full of GLOP, coolant and chips can migrate into anything!

Thanks to everyone for the help,
    Maxvic

newbee

Hi everybody
    I am new to the forum,still getting use to how everything works,but I am having the same issues,dahlih mcv 720 machine centre AL-10 with hissing noise on the x axis servo motor,my problem is can anyone walk me through on how to fix the problem,don't know much about the mechanicals of the machine, but desperate to get it repaired,also I have a victor tns-3 lathe giving al-10 on the drive,when you switch her off it is very difficult to get her back on again,any help?

Quote Originally Posted by winstonp View Post
    hi everybody
    i am new to the forum,still getting use to how everything works,but i am having the same issues,dahlih mcv 720 machine centre al-10 with hissing noise on the x axis servo motor,my problem is can anyone walk me through on how to fix the problem,don't know much about the mechanicals of the machine, but desperate to get it repaired,also i have a victor tns-3 lathe giving al-10 on the drive,when you switch her off it is very difficult to get her back on again,any help?
    al-10 the voltage of +15 supply is abnormally low.