587,999 active members*
5,212 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > New, heavier spindle...a problem?

New, heavier spindle...a problem?

Please forgive a double post, I just noticed this forum and it seemed more applicable than the one I posted in previously.

I have a small (20" X 14") CNC Crafter router. It is very well built running 4 to 1 ball screws with delrin (?) nuts with 300oz/in steppers. Up until now I have had a Porter Cable 690 router as a spindle, and I have seen this CNC machine with Porter Cable 7518 3.25hp routers (12 pounds in weight) mounted on them successfully. I just bought a real 1.3hp spindle to put on it (not a router) and it weighs an unexpected 16 pounds. I have a concern about the weight on the Z stepper and whether the X and Y steppers will be able to deal with the extra weight. I don't think the mounting or the bearings will have any problem.

Any input will be appreciated.

Donn

Not even a wild*** guess?

Donn

I don't think it's a problem. The problem would be rigidity when you start to push it, but that will be noticeable.

Well, thanks for the input.

To update, I've mounted the spindle and fortunately my small cnc is very rigid so there is no problem in that regard. I ran a test file and it seemed to move just fine, though the Z seemed to make working noises a little different than usual. I eased the ramping on all axis a little out of precaution.

My main concern at this point is the delrin nut on the z wearing out faster and whether I should mount a spring counterbalance on the z assembly to ease the pressure on the nut and Z stepper.

Anyway, thanks again!

Donn

a counterbalance would be quite logical if you think the weight is to much for the Z.

i'ld advise a gasspring instead of hanging a big block of weight on the back for inertia reasons/issues.if for example your Z-assembly weighs 20pounds install a 10pound gasspring but never a 20pound gasspring.

hmmm...Delr9n nuts on a ballscrew ? probably you got a trapezium leadscrew with delrinnuts or just steel nuts on a steel ballscrew.If its the steel ones you shouldn't worry too much as long as you keep it properly lubricated.if delrin i can imagine the nut wearing "faster"but i have no experience with delrin at all.

take alook at the benchtop mills cause these seem to use the counterweight most of all and there should be lots o info tehre if this didnt answer your question.