588,202 active members*
3,939 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Help with Veneer please

Hybrid View

Margni, why use mdf and not solid ash wood. Once you figure in the time to veneer in all the mdf for this project it will easly pay for itself. Not to mention the piece will last alot longer than the mdf. Is it a cost issue or do you just want to try out veenering. Ger gave you some great links with a load of information. If you dont read them one thing that I will say is try out glueing test piece to see if glue bleeds threw. Nothing like ruining a project because of glue.

If I'm veneering plain basic flat surfaces, not compound curves, I use contact cement and a roller to press it in place.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Regnar View Post
    Margni, why use mdf and not solid ash wood. Once you figure in the time to veneer in all the mdf for this project it will easly pay for itself. Not to mention the piece will last alot longer than the mdf. Is it a cost issue or do you just want to try out veenering. Ger gave you some great links with a load of information. If you dont read them one thing that I will say is try out glueing test piece to see if glue bleeds threw. Nothing like ruining a project because of glue.
    Good points. I got the idea after ripping apart my coffee table and saw that it was ash veneer over mdf. seems to be holding up well.
    I got like 100ft of veneer 7+" widths for like $80 of off ebay shipped, and the mdf will be around $30. I'm not sure I could get solid ash for that kind of price.

I bought some poplar at lowes the other week for another project, probably enough bf to make this bed, and it was $220. I can only imagine what solid ash wood cost, and i lack a planer/jointer to prep the wood.

its not really a cost issue, but i wanted to try out veneering and this seemed like a good project. Hopefully I dont fail and have to listen to the girlfriend (who has been complaining about the lack of bed forever)

also, i should mention that Id like to refinish my cabinets at some point and maybe veneering would do the trick