I got tossed out into to a shop environment when I was a PM for a prototyping firm. At the time I was a book smart, customer savy, "service engineer" who got thrust into quoting jobs, managing them and subsequently being responsible for the profit of same. I'd never done any job quoting let alone protype parts machining and fabrication work.

I found that the shop guys, especially my shop foreman (we hated each other at first) were very valuable assets. I'd go to him, ask how much time HE needed to do the job right and he'd usually help me quote the job and any special tools/procedures we might need. THere were fights as the personalities clashed/meshed but we got past that. The advice of a 20year self admitted "shop rat" can come in handy, especially when/if you use and respect it. He was tremendously good at knowing both what to do and what NOT do do when it came to removing/shaping metal.

There were times when he tried to pad the bill for gravy for his guys. At first, he'd get it thru but, as time went on, you could see it coming a mile away. There were also times however when my prior experiences in other regimes came in handy - the old, "have you ever done THIS instead of THAT" came in handy. We both learned and did a lot of new things as a result.

Point is, when you ask and involve EXPERIENCED co-workers, you often do something that management DOESN'T do, namely LISTEN. You subsequently learn. You also, and more importantly gain the respect and support of your peers which is critical. Also, since they now have a stake in the process, they want/need to show that they can do the job like they said they could. Honorable guys who are good machinists are just that way.

The PM job was many years ago. I went on to other things not the least of which was the creation of NC Cams. The shop rat shop foreman is now the VP of manufacturing for his firm. When he learned I was the one running NC Cams, he called me for help with a project he was quoting - he refused to deal with the the guy who used to run NC. That was nearly 8 years ago and now we're pretty much his exclusive prototype cam house.

Just the other day, I was at his place in a meeting. The engineers were being engineers and they couldn't see why I'd leave 0.020" grind stock on a surface. I quoted the VP's comment to me many years earlier, "I"d rather be looking AT material than looking FOR it later on" Besides, I have a wheel that can/will shread material like soft cheese so it is not a problem.

The enigineers were held sway and the VP smiled knowingly because he was the guy who taught me that axiom....

It's amazing how somethings work out when your properly involve you coworkers. After all, you both just need each other....