587,614 active members*
3,720 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Epoxy Granite > Epoxy-Granite machine bases (was Polymer concrete frame?)

Hybrid View

I'm doing some assembly work- more pictures to follow later.
    _
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EG gantry.jpg  

The description of the materials test machine I have ordered is here:

http://www.admet.com/assets/eXpert560x.pdf

It is a model 5601 with 225lbs force maximum. I've ordered it with a flexural test fixture for breaking samples of up to 3/8 inch by 1/2 inch square and 7.5 inches long with 6 inches between supports.

Regards all,

Cameron

I have almost everything I need to start making some castings. I drove to Chicago and got the stuff on Walter's list from Agsco and The Cary Company. The people at both companies were very friendly. The US
    Composites epoxy arrived today, also. All I need is the de-airing agent from BYK, which they wrote is on the way.

I am still trying to reach somone at Cabot to get a carbon black sample for dying the leveling epoxy seal coat. (After the seal coat I will pour a final clear leveling coat, btw). I found a company that supplies lamp black powder:

http://www.naturalpigments.com/detai...umnBestSellers

I think I will try this, since it is only $5. Four ounces will go very far. It says on the webpage that it is amorphous carbon, with some traces of other combustion chemicals. That sound close enough for me.

I do not like going to huge companies like Cabot and asking them for samples. IMHO, I think we should find retail sources for everything that is needed in the e/g casting process. Agsco and The Cary Company, while obviously used to handling much larger orders, were happy to sell to me.

Instead of using carbon black to dye the epoxy seal coat, I was thinking the smallest size of zeeosphere could be used, instead. I like the greyish-black color of Walter's gantry. Walter, I imagine that the zeeospheres are mainly resposible for the blackish color of you parts. True?

That is truly inspiring, beautiful work!

I am sure you have answered this earlier somewhere, but:

After all of the aggregate has been mixed into the epoxy, do you put your mixture in the vacuum chamber to try and de-air it a little more, or do you just rely on vibration at this point to work bubbles out of the casting?

Thanks,
    Dave