587,131 active members*
3,260 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > What is everyone doing with their cnc
Page 1 of 2 12

What is everyone doing with their cnc

Ok I have been thinking for this some time now, and I was wondering what everyone here is doing/making with their diy cnc. There are alot of members here so there must be a wide range of things happening. Or is the majority of ppl here who have built a cnc has it stored away collecting dust? Thus the only reason for building a diy cnc is to see if you could? Or are you using it for somthing worth while?

Hobbies, hobbies hobbies.
    Model airplanes was the motivation, but cutting plaques, frames, coasters, wood tools, and everything I can draw. Oh yeah, I cut model airplane stuff too.
    http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.pierceworks.net

Then go to the work exambles page.

Also, soon to be burning steel. My design is about complete, and my materials just arrived in ohio. Plasme table will be a good winter project.
    C. Pierce

Gildergider... Your funbird looks cool...

I was into flying 5 + years ago and severa years before starting the CNC hobby. Mostly just did light/park fliers flying in golf domes.. I really got to get back into it. I'd probably be one of the more popular people in the club now that I have 3 cnc machines..hehe

b.

Carrots,
    I agree, you could be the a very popular guy in your local RC club. Did you see the balsa ribs I cut? I used a .032 and .060 dia bit. It worked great. Laser cut ribs and kits are of course all the rage, but using a small bit, it's amazing what you can build.
    Dave

Yep cutting balsa couuld be done with small bits making any design possiable (vs laser). I think the time spent cutting out pieces (think I mostly used my scroll saw at the time) was why I got out of it. (becides having kids, batterys getting old and not replacing ect..) I still have most of the air planes I was flying at the time. Hopefully I will find some time to get back into it. Think another reason why I got out was because it didn't make any money (up till then I was used to my projects at least breaking even most times)

Course this time around I'd bet that would change having the CNC..hehe

b.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Glidergider View Post
    Hobbies, hobbies hobbies.
    Model airplanes was the motivation, but cutting plaques, frames, coasters, wood tools, and everything I can draw. Oh yeah, I cut model airplane stuff too.
    http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Nice products!

What softwares do you use?

Getting ready to buy some and don't want to waste any $$$

Thanks

Mr. Chips,
    I use VcarvePro. I really like it. No bad habits. I like it so much I'm getting the rest of the package as well. The wife wanted to buy me a present for my Bday, and Cut3D and PhotoCarve is what she's getting me.

I also use TurboCad, but I really don't need it because VcarvePro has great drawing tools.
    Dave

Smile

Mr. Chips,
    I use VcarvePro. I really like it. No bad habits. I like it so much I'm getting the rest of the package as well. The wife wanted to buy me a present for my Bday, and Cut3D and PhotoCarve is what she's getting me.

I also use TurboCad, but I really don't need it because VcarvePro has great drawing tools.
    Dave
    I'm a newbie, so,,,,, Do you still need to run something like Mach3 along with VCarve? What's the difference Vcarve and VcarvePro?

VcarvePro and Vcarve are the same. Yes you will need Mach3 too. Mach3 talks to your stepper motors, per instructions from Vcarve. Vcarve talks to Mach3, using your drawing or sketch.

VcarvePro and Vcarve are the same. Yes you will need Mach3 too. Mach3 talks to your stepper motors, per instructions from Vcarve. Vcarve talks to Mach3, using your drawing or sketch.
    wow, this is the simplest yet best way i've seen it put.

This link takes you to my latest foam airplane design. Its a flat foam airplane made for light wind conditions, small motors and small spaces. It will loop, roll and fly inverted with ease. The foam is bought at Lowes or Home Depot. It comes in a 50 foot folded bundles. You can make 25 airplanes with one bundle.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...32&postcount=4

The electronics can be purchased for about $130. That's a motor, radio receiver, battery, speed controller and 2 servos. All these items shown on this airplane were once on another airplane. Reusable.

Look here for an as-built photo.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...73&postcount=3

The drawing for this plan was made entirely within VcarvePro. It has an export DXF utility so that I can share it with you. The Aileron and elevator hinge lines were cut only part way through. As was the leading edge which gets folder back to provide a stiff leading edge.
    Dave

This link takes you to my latest foam airplane design. Its a flat foam airplane made for light wind conditions, small motors and small spaces. It will loop, roll and fly inverted with ease. The foam is bought at Lowes or Home Depot. It comes in a 50 foot folded bundles. You can make 25 airplanes with one bundle.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...32&postcount=4

The electronics can be purchased for about $130. That's a motor, radio receiver, battery, speed controller and 2 servos. All these items shown on this airplane were once on another airplane. Reusable.

Look here for an as-built photo.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...73&postcount=3

The drawing for this plan was made entirely within VcarvePro. It has an export DXF utility so that I can share it with you. The Aileron and elevator hinge lines were cut only part way through. As was the leading edge which gets folder back to provide a stiff leading edge.
    Dave

Thanks Dave,

I already have been severely infected for 4 years by the CNC Virus and now you are trying to get me infected with RC, well I will try and fight it, as interesting as it sounds.

I currently only have a demo version of Mach 3, which means only 1000 lines of code can be ran.

I downloaded TurboCNC but seems it only reconizes the parallel ports from the mother board and I am using a PCI parallel port with an address of I think D0000 and that isn't one of their selectable options, or can you define a different address?

The other opitions for an operating systerm (what to call this type software) is Flashcut andDeskCNC. There might be others. Plus some that run on Linex. I wonder if they allow port addresses other than the three defaults?

Thanks

Sorry I can't comment on TurboCNC or Flashcut or DeskCNC. I'm very happy with Mach3 and the following of users is huge. Maybe others can comment.

BTW, Embrace the urge, build an airplane.

Feel free to post the crv file for that air plane. Maybe it will give me the urge to get back in to flying..hehe Now that I have a machine and might be able to help some fellow fliers I think I'll like the sport a little more then before. (have to get my flying membership back to fly in the domes again though..

b./

Done, the carve file is here.
    It's in the zip file.

got it.. Cool...

I'll have to dig it out of the archives but I had a small flying wing design from a guy that was similar to the Zagi form only smaller balsa design that you would wrap in plastic wrap. was very cool flyer with one of those light stick motors and large props.

Hopefully all that stuff I gathered years ago is still sitting on my home computer...

b.

You must be talking about the "wingthing". I built one of those years ago. I learned to fly on it too. This one, didn't have any vertical stabilizer.
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=wingthing

Yep I was trying my darndist to figure out the name. The guy who designed it sure was nice to talk to over email when I was playing with the design.

In the dome mine qualified by weight to fly with the light fliers how ever I got some major complaints since it "looked" like a zagi and could do over 25mph and faster in a dive while most of them just puttered along. Think they were affraid I'd start crashing into them like the zagi people do ./

It was a fun plane and the discarded Zagi foam forms made a nice carry case for it to..hehe

b.

In this video, at the end, I'm flying a WingThing. The first part of the video has some pretty neat piloting, so when you finally see the Wingthing, its....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vVOE6HI9Ag0

Page 1 of 2 12