587,657 active members*
3,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Is it possible to run Dynapath 20 alone...

Is it possible to run Dynapath 20 alone...

just the dynapath without running up the entire mill? We have to enter everything in manually, and if I could just plug in the dynapath to 110 or 220, rather than run the phase convertor, it would save a ton of power.

I do not have a usb/rs232 convertor, nor do I have the knowledge on how to upload from a laptop to the dynapath. If someone could help me with this, IF there is a fairly easy way to use a laptop to enter the lines of code, it would be worth something to me.

PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN.

I totally understand your frustration of powering up the entire machine to only enter code.
    Here is the phone number for Dynapath (USA),
    Tel: (248)488-0440
    Fax: (248)488-0430
    I ask for John Gardner whom seems to be the delta 20 guy for answers.
    Another option would be to link your machine to a PC, and powering it up for a few minutes to up/download programs, I've had very good luck doing this with my delta 20 series machine. Your only moving text files, so you don't need much for a PC, I think I picked mine up from a yard sale for $20.00 complete.

I recently downloaded this free (and functional) 30-day demo program:

http://www.dncsoftware.net/

My machine has a Dynapath Delta 20 control; my PC is running Windows XP.
    A neat feature is the DNC Set-Up Wizard, I simply connected the null modem cable to CNC/PC, clicked on the wizard, and it automatically detected and set the machine configurations! Pretty slick!
    And at a price of $99, I’d consider it a bargain (after spending a day manually entering code, anything seems a bargain!).

Thanks!!!

That is awesome guys! I have never had answers so fast in here before.

We have been working on what I thought was a fairly simple project, a 5" x 1/2" x 12" piece of 6061 aluminum that was to eventually be a rail extension for snowmobiles. My 'machinist' told me yesterday, after a successful prototype, and the mirror image side being completed that he had 190 hours in this item. I had planned on selling them for 100-150 per set, and the company I was going to sell it to gets for 40.00 per set from another company, Century. They are very slow to meet their orders, and everyone was excited about us making these. The aluminum stock was 8-10.00 per foot.

He said that to cut one piece was taking 4.7 hours. We ran up the mill bit speed as fast as we could, (1/2" 2 flute) and went from a .050 to .165 cut, thinking we would cut the time down significantly, but the 'machinist' tried doing the deep cut and higher speed with a 1/4" tool, and kept getting faults. After 2 hours, he had one radius, 1 5" cut made, and was completely pissed off.

He quit this morning, said there is no way to make money on these projects. I have to agree, he is learning through reading, has done his best, but he is not ready for production.
    I have no idea how to run the machine, do not know or have the time to learn g-code. I already have 3 jobs, and do not think it is worth the time to try to learn this now.

For sale.
    310 Tree, a TON of a pile of tooling, vice, custom splash enclosure, new coolant pump, head rebuilt last month.
    Pics on request.

I've sent you a PM.

Yes.

The dynapath control only needs 110v. When I had my tree J250 in my garage, I wired it in such a way that the control was powered with 110v so I could do any programming, editing, and tool setting without turning on the rotary phase converter. Then when I was ready to machine, I flipped on the rotary phase converter and machined away.
    Its only the spindle motor that needs 220 three phase.

thanks

Is there any chance of getting a picture of what you wired for this? Can you post here, or email me at [email protected] ?

Thanks!

Is there anyway I can see how you wired this also?
    Thanks,
    [email protected]

Good day
    I also have a Dynapath 20 on a J325. I saw your post on dncSoftware and gave it a try. No success. Signal comes out of the D20, but no way to see it on the PC. Could you please tell me what the RS232 com port settings worked for you and whether you used a null modem cable. The settings in the book do not work for me.
    Thanks

Running the controller without the drive is a great idea. Powering it is easy, but how did you get around having to reference the drives before the controller will do anything else?
    Thanks

dynapath rs 232 pinouts

A null modem cable will not work on a dynapath. I had to have my Dynapath 20 rebuilt by Parts N Smarts. I could not get it to communicate before, nor could I communicate after. I called Julius he emailed me the pinouts. He was telling me that the Dynapath books are written wrong. They found the problem in the late 80's, but to his knowledge thes still have not been corrected. I could not get any cable to work (null modem or grizzly) except for the one I made using the info from Parts n Smarts. I am using the communication from Bob-Cam v21. I have v22, but have not used it yet. The settings are 7,even,and 1. I think I uploaded the attachment, if not I will try again.

Joe Updike
    www.cyclestartcnc.com

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/updikes/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/updikes/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D20_rs232_mistake_2.JPG  

RS232

My Dynapath 20 on the 325 works fine with a laptop and a null modem cable with no rewiring

Can some one help me out, I just bought a Tree VMC760 with Dynapath control and I have not idea how to use it, can some email me if they know the control please [email protected] right now it says that it has been home when i try to do anything and it looks like the tool changer need to home also...Thanks
    Robert