587,837 active members*
3,452 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > how to wrap parts on a tube - part deux

how to wrap parts on a tube - part deux

I'm trying to wrap parts around a tube and cant figure out the best way to do it. I have a flat dxf file that gives me the pattern. What I've come up with is taking the sketch, wrapping it embossing/debossing it, then creating an assembly, and mating each tooth to each edge using 3 mates.. now this is really no problem, but there are 66 teeth to do and figured there might be an eaiser way to do it.. 200 mates just doesn't seem like the best way...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rotor.jpg  

I am assuming your issue is with the sketch.

I quickly did something similar to what you show and I did it as follows which I think is quicker and easier.

First I imported the geometry in the sketch without constraints or dimensions.

I then manipulated the sketch using move and rotate commands. I am assuming your DXF / DWG file is accurate and you do not need to move or place the individual sketch entities of the imported geometry in the sketch.

If you window all the features they will move together. you can snap to points on the sketch and the model.

Finally I would window all the sketch entities and then apply the fix constraint to all of them. They will not move. It may be a PITA if you need to adjust them, but you can just window the individual item and dlete the fix constraints on that.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response, but the issue really isn't the sketch.. main issue is projecting the sketch onto the tube, and patterning the holders around the tube where the sketch is. I was wondering if there might be a way to place the holders onto the flat sketch then project them around the tube? or a way to pattern/copy the part around the tube by points..

I've accomplished the projecting by using the wrap feature, I was just wondering if there was another way to go about it because atm I have to mate each holder to cutouts of the wrap feature..

You could try a 'offset from surface' then use pattern features to copy them around the cylinder.

A wrap feature will work too. Check the SWX help files they do a good job of explaining the procedure.

Is your model that of a music box cylinder?

Scott

Its actually a rotor for a tree mulcher.. the tube is 10.75" dia..

I'll try your suggestion lil later on today..

okay.

I was thinking about a pattern or feature following a guide curve.

I'll give it a go.

Scott

Here's a quickie.

it's a 2007 model.

Scott
    Attached Files Attached Files