587,091 active members*
3,160 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My Plastic CNC

This is my first design of a CNC. I bought a few months ago, plans for the Rockcliff machine. When I was done about 50% I realized it's too limiting for me, so I start my own design (my own design is not accurate since I "stole" a lot of ideas from this wonderful forum).

I built my CNC using 1/2" plastic (sort of high density plastic) and some aluminum parts. Table is 3/4" MDF. Cutting area is 20" X 29" X 3". In the future I may increase Z axis travel to 5" or 6". It's still a work-in-progress but it's 99% done. I used Acad 2007 to draw. I'm attaching the drawing but take it as a guide, because I'm adding things here and there. I'm also attaching a picture of the full assembled machine.

Sleeve bearings are made of brass, got it from a local company (B.O.S.S. inc); lead screw is Home depot 3/8"; couplings are from Princess Auto. The router is Mastercraft 6 Amp from Canadian Tire. Electronics is HobbyCNC.

Any comments are welcome.
    Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_1489 small.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey, there was a Princess Auto in Dartmouth, NS where I grew up...you're not talking about the same place, eh? Those couplings, what are they doing in an auto shop? Could they be found at most auto shops?

Also, you say you are using brass sleeve bearings. Where did you get the rod? Can you tell me how well those work? (i.e. regarding friction and slop.)

I am building two machines. One small and precise, and another very large but with only reasonable precision required. The small one will cut robotic parts from aluminum, route prototype pcb's, drill, etc. The large one (about 42" x 80"), will cut and shape dense foam or wood for kiteboards/surfboards and other unrelated wood kits. The sleeve bearings may be adequate for this large version.

Colin

Nice clean looking setup. how much travel do you have on the Z at this point. looking at the picture it doesn't appear to be able to reach the table.

Jim

You have a keen eye. Yesterday, when I assembled the machine I reversed (by mistake) the back plate of the Z axis. If you check with the drawing you'll see what I mean. It was corrected last night. I'll post new pictures in a day or two. A typical 2" long bit should be able to touch the table now.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by guru_florida View Post
    Hey, there was a Princess Auto in Dartmouth, NS where I grew up...you're not talking about the same place, eh? Those couplings, what are they doing in an auto shop? Could they be found at most auto shops?

Also, you say you are using brass sleeve bearings. Where did you get the rod? Can you tell me how well those work? (i.e. regarding friction and slop.)

I am building two machines. One small and precise, and another very large but with only reasonable precision required. The small one will cut robotic parts from aluminum, route prototype pcb's, drill, etc. The large one (about 42" x 80"), will cut and shape dense foam or wood for kiteboards/surfboards and other unrelated wood kits. The sleeve bearings may be adequate for this large version.

Colin
    I live in Hamilton, Ontario so it's a different Princess Auto.
    The rods are 5/8" from Home Depot (~$10 each). The sleeve bearings are oil impregnated. (I found that next day after I left them on the dinning room table: my wife was not amused). The tolerance is fair; and become better if you use 2 bearings, 5-6 inches apart like I do.

Here is another pic, before I attached the MDF table.

Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_1486 small.JPG