587,691 active members*
3,710 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Taylor

This weekend I update the demonstation down loads for SuperCamXp. I recommend you try the new version. At the top will be Version 11-23-07.

I made it a little smarter in that doesn't get confused with filenames with spaces in them.

I also resolved three issues with the DXF interpreter. One of them was not understanding files that only had linefeeds at the end of each line. This might resolve your problem with Adobe Illistrator.

If not email me or attach a DXF file to a post so I can see if I can get them to import.

Dennis
    http://www.super-tech.com

Success!... Sort of....

Hi Dennis,

I downloaded the new demo version of SuperCam.... installed it (after removing the previous version, of course...) and I made a major step forward. The good news is that I successfully imported a drawing that originated as a PDF file... opened and exported through Adobe Illustrator! The bad news is that the file that I was able to open was the entire drawing, of about 60 separate parts. SuperCam told me that I had imported something like 10,600 graphic items.
    And I'm not exactly sure what combination of settings I used to get the successful import. But most important, it tells me that what I am trying to do IS possible! I'll keep playing with it, and figure out which buttons to click to make the magic happen.

Meanwhile, I was playing with some DXF files that I downloaded from the CNCZone. They're the part drawings for building a JGRO CNC router. Unfortunately, the drawings all have little title blocks, lots of text, and other extraneous stuff. I know this is a dumb question, but how to do you erase, delete, or otherwise get rid of such things. I tried using the "Erase" command in SuperCam.... but it selected everything on the sheet. Using the "undo" command, one step at a time was kind of fun, as all of the drawing, title blocks, text, etc. came back... one step at a time, but that wasn't really what I wanted. Should I be trying to just select the actual drawing components, and cutting and pasting them into another document... or is there some other trick to deal with this?

Thanks!

-Taylor

In case anybody is reading this thread.... I just wanted to report that I bought the CamPod and the SuperCam XP software.... and am successfully moving the motors (un-attached to the machine at this point).... and everything seems to be about right.

I do have a question about the motor set-up panel. I got the steps per rotation, and the thread movement per rotation info set up fine...but I am a bit puzzled by the acceleration, deceleration, and max steps speed settings. I fiddled around a bit with these, and got the motors to run at all speeds (as I use the "Move To" tool to run the gantry from one end to the other... but I'm sure there is probably a more scientific way to set these. The Keling website has specifications for my motors... but nothing about the max step rates that they will accept.

Does anybody have any thoughts about this?

Thanks!

-Taylor

I was VERY impressed that Dennis even includes schematics and setup information for using his products with my HobbyCNC controller...which obviously is NOT his product. A very nice touch!