587,513 active members*
3,048 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 9 12345
    As it turned out the 10x22 will not be in stock until Aug. and I cannot wait that long so I ordered a 12x36 gear head instead.

Just got my G0602 from Grizzly.

Got my G0602 from Grizzly almost 2 weeks ago but had to build a stand for it. I wanted the top of the stand to be adjustable so I can level it regardless of floor condition. All came out ok and lathe is in its stand now. I wiped all the grease and inspected everything. All seems to be ok. Only problem is that I'm so confused as of what oil do I need for this lathe. I'm new to lathes so I'd like to get someone's opinion on this issue. The manual says to use Mobil DTE Heavy-medium for the gearbox and 10W machine oil for the 11 ball oilers. I cannot find these oils in local stores by these names. I went to walmart, autozone, sears, and none of them have these names. Do I really have to look for these or are other equivalents I could use? I read that I should not use motor oil and I know that now. Where can I get oil for this lathe? Any on-line stores? I'd like to start the break-in process but I need the proper oil.

Many thanks,

Enco sells these oils... someone more experienced should say if something else could be substituted in this particular case though.

Purchased Mobil DTE 26 that is ISO 68 for the gearbox and Mobil DTE 24, ISO 32 for the ways from McMaster. Very good prices and fast delivery. Part numbers were
    1 - 2158K13 Mobil Oil Dte 26 Hydraulic Oil, ISO Grade 68, SAE 20, 1-Gal
    2 - 2158K11 Mobil Oil Dte 24 Hydraulic Oil, ISO Grade 32, SAE 10W, 1-Gal

Did the initial run on all speeds and changed the oil. Not that easy though to drain the oil. You need a flat container that goes under the lathe so you can collect the oil coming out of the drain plug. All seems fine. I now have to start calibrating and check for any corrections that might needed. I did order from Grizzly some extra things, like center drills, a cutting blade and its holder and a 7 piece Live Cneter set MT3 (Grizzly part G1070).

Can't wait to start using this machine.

Thanks,

Post G0602 - has arrived

My G0602 has arrived. Crate was barely holding together. I used an Floor Engine Crane to get it off a pickup truck. Then when I lifted the lathe the bottom started falling apart. Only shipping casualty was the yellow ring around the emergency stop button. They are going to replace the switch. They sent a replacement but sent the wrong one. I built a table top by laminating 1/4" plywood with 2x4's on top of 3/4" plywood. Bought the Shop Fox Heavy-Duty Workbench Leg System. Except for the Shop Fox label being up-side-down I am quite pleased with the results. Have cleaned and completed break-in. Just starting to play and have lots to learn. I have some pictures I would like to share.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b0 Lathe Table.jpg   b1 Lathe in crate.jpg   b2 Ready to hoist.jpg   b3 Lathe over table 2.jpg  

b4 Lathe on Table1.jpg   b lathe 1.JPG  

Just got my Grizzly 10X22 Lathe

I picked it up from Grizzly south of the border at the Bellingham WA store (I'm in western Canada) - what great service! I haven't finished the base yet, but hope to have it done by tomorrow.

I bought some indexing bits, center drills, knurler, cutoff tool, #4MT to #3MT reducer (I have some #3MT tools from other machines).

I had a lot of time on lathes twenty years ago but not much since, so consider myself an amateur. I'm fortunate to have some very knowledgeble and generous people nearby to learn from.

Looking for comments (good and bad) from others with experience on this lathe.

Thanks.

Dave
    Saltspring Island

Hello all,

My new Seif C6 came yesterday from Grizzly. It replacses my 7 x 12 that I converted to CNC using materials from HobbyCNC. I had previously coverted a mini-mill using HobbyCNC equipement also.

I would like to use servo motors for the C6. After spending quite a bit of time searching the web I seem to be settling on a system or parts from www.homeshopcnc.com and/or maybe http://www.kelinginc.net/index.html

I haven't decided on gear and belt or direct drive for either axis yet.

The benifit of your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

I would like to do a 10x20 cnc myself. Can you use a 5c collet with these lathes ??

What type of accuracy did you get with your other conversion ??

Bill

I don't know about the collet. I didn't switch out the lead screws and nuts, so the backlash of the original nuts was the limiting factor. I used a ballscrew on the Z axis of the mill and it smokes the axis as far as speed goes.

On another note, does anyone know a good source for 4 or 5 to 1 ratio timing sprockets at 1/2" width? Maybe "L" size.

What's the normal motor size and gear ratio applied to 10" lathe?

Crossfeed

Does the Grizzly G0602 have a power cross feed? Do any of the 9x20's have a power cross feed? For those of you with lathes that do not have a power cross feed, do you find that it affects your work quality much?

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters View Post
    Ish..... man why do you guys mess with these machines!
    My job makes me relocate every 2-3 years, frequently cross country and occasionally overseas. 1000-2000# machines would quickly overload my household weight allowance (17k), meaning it costs me big $$$ to move (0.84 per pound overweight, coast to coast). Not to mention what damage the movers would do to heavy stuff.

So I have to settle for lighter weight machinery that I can easily load and unload from a rental truck with a CUT with forklift bars. The G0602 is doable. A 1000-1500# lathe is not. A bridgeport is definitely be a bad idea. The Sieg X3 would work.

I keep going back and drooling over the Grizz G4002 12x24 and G9249 12x37 and thinking about how much better they would cut. My CUT will only lift 800#, so it makes these models very inconvenient to maneuver. I think that I would be much smarter to stick with the G0602 for now.

Quote Originally Posted by harley573 View Post
    Does the Grizzly G0602 have a power cross feed? Do any of the 9x20's have a power cross feed?
    I don't think you will fin power cross feed in any small lathes until you hit the 12x?? swing size.

power cross feed

I made a power cross feed for my Jet 9x20.
    First I made larger handles rings that slip over the existing ones and use a small set screw to keep them in place. They work much better but sometimes they have to be removed when the cross slide is at certain angles ....takes just a few seconds. The bolt that holds the thread dial now holds a dc cordless drill motor with gear train. With a small flat pulley on the motor rather than a chuck....and the crossslide handle as the larger pulley and a rubber belt work well. If it reaches the end of travel and you're not watching
    ...no problem or damage. The belt just slips. The power consist of a AC to DC
    power supply. I think 12 vdc. I vary the voltage to the power supply on the ac side with a simple dimmer control. This has worked well for me. You get a much better finish if the feed is steady. I also made a power feed for my jet mill drill out of old crap. Works good. If you want to see the table feed motor,
    go to youtube and put "homemade power table feed for mill drill" in the search box. I don't have a video of the lathe part yet but I have other videos there you may find entertaining.

G0602 review (vs. Smithy?)

Sow now some of you have had the Grizzly G0602 for almost a year...what are your long-term impressions?

I'm attracted to this machine primarily because of the 1" spindle bore...seems impossible to find until you get up to the 12" machines or so. I would think that being able to turn a long piece of 1" tube would be a pretty basic threshold, one worth a few hundred bucks over the mini mills. Otherwise, the mini mills (7x14 up to maybe a 9x20) would probably suit my noodling needs.

I've looked at the various 3-in-1 machines, but I'm leery of combo units, their compromises, and liabilities. However, I've seen a few "barely used" Smithy 1220's with lots of tooling for around the same price...$1000 or so. It's got similar lathe specs (including spindle bore) as the G0602.

Everyone seems to pretty much poo-poo the 3-in-1's, which matches my expectations. Changing from lathe to mill is apparently a big bother, and the reviews on the mill are discouraging, to be generous. However, the lathe part seems to get reasonable reviews. I'm toying with the idea of going that route, justifying it only for its lathe application. The idea that it's got a wheenie mill I could cut my teeth on (no pun intended) would just be bonus. I don't have a mill, but it's on my "as soon as I can justify" list.

I would never buy a TV/VCR or a Chevy Avalanche, for all the same reasons. The main attraction of the 3-in-1 is the space savings, which is notable in my shop. Cost savings is a very minor consideration.

I'd value your thoughts and opinions, particularly from G0602 (or Smithy) owners?

Thanks,
    -dave

Grizzly G0602 - Quick Change Tool Post? And Accessories?

I'll probably completely expose myself a a newbie, but here goes.

The Grizzly specs say the G0602 comes with a "Four Way Tool Post". Is that the same thing as a Quick Change Tool Post?

And speaking of accessories, what would you consider a reasonable set of tooling and accessories to get with this lathe? I've got all kinds of shop equipment (measurement tools, drill press, hand tools) but nothing machine-oriented.

Thanks,
    -dave

Grizzly Newbe Introduction

Hi all,
    I have been using a Atlas 618 for the past year & a half, so I do concider myself still a newbe to turning metal. The 618 was loaned to me by a neighbor and took very little TLC to get it working again from being idle for several years. Not being able to purchase it from my neighbor (sentimental reasons), I just yesterday placed an order to Grizzly for A G4000 & after realizing the 3/4" HS opening, I re-called the factory & upgraded my order to the new G0602 10 X 22 that has the 1" HS opening. Estimated delivery by Thursday or Friday of next week.... Really looking forward to making curls on the new machine. Looking forward to learning new things on this forum....
    Lee (Sacemoi)

>> The Grizzly specs say the G0602 comes with a "Four Way Tool Post". Is that the same thing as a Quick Change Tool Post?

No, a Four Way Tool Post allows you to clamp four different lathe bits facing in four different directions. You unlock and rotate the TP to change tools.

A QCTP on the other hand holds a single tool in a holder. You can buy as many holders as you can, mount any manner of tool bits in them, then swap them out very quickly. In my opinion, a QCTP is the better way to go.

>>> And speaking of accessories, what would you consider a reasonable set of tooling and accessories to get with this lathe?

Everyone has their own favorites, but a good start might be: Knurling tool, parting tool, center drills, Jacobs' chuck with a #3 Morse Taper, #4MT to #3 MT adapter sleeve (so you can use your tailpiece attachments in the head), full set of lathe dogs (the G0602 comes with a faceplate), a real oilcan.

At least, those are what I added right away.

Dave
    Saltspring

Info on location of Grizzly G0602 hold down bolts

I am waiting for my lathe to arrive and am building a steel frame to support it on. The grizzly online manual shows a frame of 47.5" x 12.75" is required and that two bolt down holes 5/8" dia on a pitch of 32.5" are also required. I do also presume that they are on the same centerline as the lathe - no reason to think this would not be the case obviously.

Can anyone tell me if these are equispaced from each end of the frame (i.e. 7.5" from either end) or if they are biased towards the head or the tail of the lathe. Also just confirm for sure that they are 6.375" from both the front and the rear.

I would appreciate some help here as I would like to get the frame fully welded and painted before the lathe arrives.

I just ordered the Grizzly 10x22 G0602 today. It's on back order until the end of May they tell me. I'm looking forward to getting it, though. I have relatively no experience using lathes, so I'm hoping you all won't mind me asking "newbie" questions.

Den

Page 3 of 9 12345