587,593 active members*
3,952 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Tool Sliding Out of Chuck

Tool Sliding Out of Chuck

I am having troubles with bits sliding out of my pc router on my cnc. Anyone having this problem. did it on .25" and .5" chucks so i am thinking it might be bit type or speeds.

Make sure it's clean (almost surgically - every parts of the chuck, collet parts and bit shank) and that it's tight. Does it happen with every bit or just some?... measure the problem tools with caliper.

Does that help?
    My business Web site - USINUM - www.cooptel.qc.ca/~usinum
    My BLOG at Blogger - http://pacosarea.blogspot.com/

I will try cleaning collet but it happend with two different collets on different bits so i think it might be something else. has anyone upgraded to the er16?

1) make sure the bit is not bottomed out in the collet. If it bottoms out, pull it back out about 1/4" before tightening.

2) If the bit was not bottomed out, it just wasn't tight enough.

I've got 4 Porter Cable routers and have never had a bit come loose. When tightening the collet, place the two wrenches close together so you can squeeze them with both hands to tighten.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

A cheap sh!t collet and nose will allow the tools to worm their way out if you push them hard, and certain harmonics induced during the cut can accelerate this effect. This is because the garbage collets used on ordinary power tools only pinch the tool a wee bit around one annulus at the front of the nut. Thus, any slack on the shank, or the back end of the collet allows that end to precess and wobble around inside the spindle nose. This allows it to worm its way out under load.

An ER16 is quite a bit more solid, much better gripping force. But, you've then got to figure a way to retain the collet adapter securely.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I'm going to take a stab at this and guess you were using solid carbide highly polished bits? Gerry I have had up to 5 Porter Cable 3.25hp routers and they all threw bits. Maybe it was the material I was cutting, bit selection etc, but I simply could not keep them in the collets. My solution was to red loctite them in. Never had one to slip after the loctite. I do however have to clean the bit and the collet when making a change and it is a mess.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Cool Rough up the holding surface.

This works on big chuck jaws holding hard material with same problem.

Get a small piece of carbide, a 12v DC plugpack (that won't blow up if overloaded.)

Put a 1000uF electolytic capacitor across the output (observe polarity)

Now connect one side to the collet, and the other side to the piece of carbide held in a clip or whatever.

Spark it up and down lots all over the the holding surfaces.
    It will become embedded with microscopic bits of carbide.

Now you can hold really hard things because the jaws will key into the surface!
    Find some tool steel and other bits of hard stuff to practice on and look at the surface with a magnifying glass. You'll see when it's working.

Put a 20 or 30w 12v light globe between the power pack and the elctrolytic to limit the current.:devious:
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

By jove, Neil, I think you've invented the Rocklinizer
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

Just went to the thinking room!

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    By jove, Neil, I think you've invented the Rocklinizer
    Now it is even simpler.
    Just rough up the cutter/router/drill shaft using this process.
    May have to replace collets ocasionally, but if tight and true they WILL NOT SLIP!

:idea::cheers:
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.