587,303 active members*
3,587 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfdagon View Post
    What would be the minimal requirements in an older computer running emc2 to control a cnc machine? I can get my hands on an older computer with 133Mhz for free. Can't remember how much memory it has. I don't think it has usb though. If I istall Linux and emc2 to the hard drive wouldn't I be able to use the cd drive to get my gcode into it?
    I have heard people saying 400 to 600mhz minimum, 1gb hdisk, 256mb ram.

Alan

I'm loving Linux so far! I'm still setting up my actual machine, But i'm testing the controls and importing parts and it's awesome! I never thought it would be this easy, this cool and work this well! Wow...

Is the CNC EMC controller (The program) can it be fine tuned? Like Spindle Speeds and other things?

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    I'm loving Linux so far! I'm still setting up my actual machine, But i'm testing the controls and importing parts and it's awesome! I never thought it would be this easy, this cool and work this well! Wow...

Is the CNC EMC controller (The program) can it be fine tuned? Like Spindle Speeds and other things?

-Jason
    Yes, with a caveat. You have to have a speed controllable spindle. Then you have to set up the controls for it.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by wolfdagon View Post
    What would be the minimal requirements in an older computer running emc2 to control a cnc machine? I can get my hands on an older computer with 133Mhz for free. Can't remember how much memory it has. I don't think it has usb though. If I istall Linux and emc2 to the hard drive wouldn't I be able to use the cd drive to get my gcode into it?

Head over to http://www.linuxcnc.org/ for info on EMC2. From my build, I recall a 128mg ram requirement although much more is recommended. as to the HD size requirement, I cannot recall. THe Ubuntu install is a bit more rigorous in its machine demands but there is older versions which are more forgiving if your computer is a bit thin in the legs.

One of the best things about EMC2 is its free along with the support. THe IRC chat is a great source of help - just let them know your skill level when asking and keep to the point. Many of the guys on there are busy at work on much bigger machines but always happy to help.

I went EMC2 because I wanted to try something different and learn a bit more about Linux in the process. As a result, I am prepping older boxes to set up with Ubuntu for my two kids to use in the office and hopefully prolong the life of my windows machine a bit longer.

BMG

Whatever computer you have, please get as much RAM (Ramdon Access Memory) as possible. RAM is the "elbow room" that makes your application run faster. A shortage of RAM will cause the application (program) to stall or hesitate. This is because it will "cache" or store to the hard drive sectors: a hard drive sector is much slower to access than RAM (milliseconds compared to nanoseconds). If you cannot install enough RAM, make sure you have enough hard drive storage space...and try to "defrag" your hard drive regularly so the data stored can be uniformly located on consecutive sectors.

Right now now I have 128 on this machine lol.....But the HD is "defragged" but am going to get 1 gig for the system

-Speed

Dear Friends,

I am having problem in Bystronic Laser CNC Machine. Who is able to solve the problem in this machine I need guide line to fix the problem problem given below
    * In X axis getting vibration*

I need ckt diagrame of Indramate 3trm drive

Defrag - is a windows problem.

EMC burns to a "live CD". This means you can run completely off of the CD, never actually installing anything to your computer. Forget to put the CD in the drive, and you are back in your old system (windows, etc). You will notice that your performance is better with Linux running off of the CD then Windows is running off of the HD. Now, there is also an install option, and this will replace Windows (unless you repartition/have an extra HD). The performace of Linux is even better once installed to the hard drive. Requirements for RAM are less on the installed version.

Mach 3 is a great system, it's what we use at work. I prefer Linux, and use EMC at home, and there are even more options out there that run off DOS. Anything will work, G-code is G-code.

Page 3 of 3 123