587,758 active members*
3,157 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > chips inside the collet

chips inside the collet

Hi,
    First, sorry if my post is in incorrect forum, I just didn't know where I should put it; Let's get the party started: Machine - Nakamura TW-10, left side chuck with 3J collet. The problem is - 2 weeks ago we were cleaning everything but today I took the chuck off and again is packed with chips; Is there any solution to avoid this?? some sillicon to fill up the gaps in collet - maybe some smart head will show me the way to fix it, I can't stop the machine to clean the chuck every two weeks, they will kill me for that efficiency...thx guys for any clue

Maxi - swarf inside the collet is all part of the job!

only cleaning out a collet once a fortnight is excellent - you should be stripping down the collet once a week to clean it or you are inviting trouble with wear and tear.

depending on your material you could do serious damage to the mating faces of the collet and spindle nose.

Some ways to reduse swarf could be to direct a coolant nozzle more into the collet that flushes out chips and try if you have room to adjust the tools coolant nozzle to spray the chips away from the collet.

both will only reduce your problem, i doubt antthing will solve it other than a regular clean down. which should take no longer than 10 mins.

ST.

I'm afraid You are right, I work with swiss Maier 20 ML also and I had many problems with chips inside the sub spindle, we put piece of rubber inside the collet, hard enough to stay inside and soft enough to not "brake the collet" - It was working well, I tried sillicon they gave me but when it got dry fell out, I thought maybe there is some way...anyway, thanks for an answer star-turn

I've had moderate success with thoroughly degreasing the collet, then, take hot glue gun and force the melt into the slots in the collet. After the "glue" (its plastic actually) cools, then trim off the excess with a sharp knife on the outside. It is tricky to trim the ID but it needs to be done as well. A piece of thinwall tubing that fits the collet, with a properly sharpened end (on the tube ID) can be spun slowly and forced down the ID to trim the excess.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    I've had moderate success with thoroughly degreasing the collet, then, take hot glue gun and force the melt into the slots in the collet. After the "glue" (its plastic actually) cools, then trim off the excess with a sharp knife on the outside. It is tricky to trim the ID but it needs to be done as well. A piece of thinwall tubing that fits the collet, with a properly sharpened end (on the tube ID) can be spun slowly and forced down the ID to trim the excess.
    Or maybe slide a piece of rod into the collet before gluing so it cannot seep in

Quote Originally Posted by under-dog View Post
    Or maybe slide a piece of rod into the collet before gluing so it cannot seep in
    wouldn't that glue the rod in?