Aim as high as you can, you are young. Few things are as ****ty as not being able to advance as a result of not having a piece of paper. If you are into the "practical" side of engineering, then go the college route. If they offer Co-Op try it (try before you buy).
The College Engineering Diploma will put you between the theorist and the machinist, which is a nice area, you get exposed to the manufacturing, and the design side. You can then pick and choose later in your career. Keep in mind that with a strong dollar, that manufaturing will eventually tank (for those that don't automate). We are becoming a knowledge based society. The machinist trade is an excellent trade, but I can tell you from first hand experience, that your earning potential is not a s strong as that of a Technologist. If I could not find work as a Technologist, it's really handy to have my red seal as a Gen'l machinist.Most of the guys that I work with top out at 50k/yr. I'm earing 30k more than that, because I also do the design and analysis work. Just like any other trade, more skills= bigger paycheque. Stay flexible, to be able to adapt when required.

regards

regards