587,833 active members*
3,541 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Yes - THC with floating head

Smile Plasma project.

Hi Zeoncomp,
    How much budgets for this project? How long was this machine finished?

Good project
    Mongkol

Smile Plasma project.

Hi Zeoncomp,
    One question.
    What brandname for plasma cutter? Or you use from http://www.parkermetalworking.com/

Cheers,
    Mongkol

To be honest - don't know yet - I still have to add all the bills and figure - soon. Time - - took a while but working only couple hours in the weekend. I can say that if I stay on it I can finish one in two weeks. It takes longer when you do not have plans and you have to buy parts "on the fly".
    Even now - after I made the first cut - I realized that I have to add an extra axis (clone) becasue of the inertia of the gantry. I just got what I need and I will have it completely done this weekend. Next week I will do all the adjustments to turn it into a router table.
    It turn to be VERY nice and if I ever decide to sell it - or make another one - will not be less than 10k. The MAJOR points here are the floating head and the water table. As someone said previously in this forum that the water table takes care of 90% of the smoke - it was wrong .... I can say 99%. I cut in my garage with my doors closed .... Don't make a mistake not to have a water table. Floating head is not hard to build - is harder to understand how to set it up - buy once you have it running it works flawlessly. I am still very new at this - I am a computer engineer - and I will have many, many questions to come. I will describe the table more when I catch some more time.

I use the Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 - SWEEEEEET.
    I use the MP-1000 THC.
    I use a floating head to determine exactly the thickness of the material or exactly to set the cutting height where it supposed to be- - here is a long story - short. Before starting to cut the head goes down - touches the material (here zeroes the Z axis) and goes up to the defined cutting height. After 100, 200, 300 or whatever mm cut (depend of what you program) will check again - see if you cut thin material it will warp.

I hope this will answer some questions - it took me way longer to find all about it.

Cool Plasma project

Hi Zeoncomp,
    Do you mean that it is not necessary to have water table? Does it help only smoke? I think it may help accuracy and precision after cut. Is that concerned?

Mongkol
    :withstupi

Quote Originally Posted by Mongkol View Post
    Hi Zeoncomp,
    Do you mean that it is not necessary to have water table? Does it help only smoke? I think it may help accuracy and precision after cut. Is that concerned?

Mongkol
    :withstupi
    I meant YES you have to have a water table - for multiple reasons.
    Smoke first - if you have the water touching the material - I had almost no warpage cutting 16GA ....

Cool Plasma project

Hi Zeoncomp,

Thanks for info. Do you have your e-mail? I am doing plasma table project. I will beg your advice and experience.

Thanks
    Mongkol